Check mark next to Issues in Epic - Why?

Jeff Maurin January 16, 2014

A green check mark is being displayed to the left of some issues in the 'Issues in Epic' section.

I would have expected to see the check mark next to Closed or Resolved issues, but it is next to some Open issues as well.

What drives the display of the check mark?

[Jira version (v6.0.8)]

2 answers

0 votes
Liz_Pat March 12, 2019

Thanks for all the ideas. The most likely is one I have seen before -- related to having an improper resolution set. I have all sorts of confusion caused by a resolution sticking around when the issue is reversed from a done status to a not-done status. 

0 votes
Henning Tietgens
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 16, 2014

IMO the checkmark is displayed if there is a resolution for the issue. Did you check that for the open issue?

Jeff Maurin January 16, 2014

Thanks for the reply. I am not exactly sure what you mean by 'if there is a resolution' - the issue has not yet been resolved. The status of the issue is Open and there is a workflow transition from Open to Resolved, but the issue has not taken that path yet.

Henning Tietgens
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 19, 2014

If there is, for example, a missconfigured workflow, it's possible that an issue is reopened without clearing an already set resolution.

If you open the issue in the normal view, there is a field called "Resolution". If this is not "unresolved", the issue is displayed as "done" with a green checkmark. But maybe it something completly different...

Dorota Goffin July 27, 2015

This tick mark is also shown for issues with no resolution specified (Resolution -> "unresolved"). Is this by design or is there a defect tracked for this?

Liz_Pat December 4, 2018

I have the same question.

Henning Tietgens
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 4, 2018

If the resolution for the issue with the checkmark is not set and the index is not corrupted (e.g. you find the issue while searching for "key = ABC-1234 and resolution is EMPTY") you should file a support request at Atlassian.

Otherwise check if the Resolution field is on the create or edit screen of the issue (which is a no go) or if there is a resolution "unresolved" (which is a no go, too).

If this is not the case, the issue displays "Unresolved" as resolution but you don't find it while searching for the issue key and the empty resolution, try to edit the issue to trigger a reindex of the issue.

Stéphane Veraart March 11, 2019

Another option is when you Move workflows through a bulk edit to a Done status. Then the post-condition is not executed from Jira so the resolution is not set to Done (or the one configured in the workflow).

Sam Wilson March 29, 2019

I am seeing this for a next-gen project, which is doubly confusing becuase, as far as I can tell, "Resolution" is not an available field / feature for Next Gen projects. It's certainly not on any of our existing Issue Types.

Suggest an answer