Check if Wiki Markup is empty

TomTom August 25, 2012

Hi!

I have several pages using a Wiki Markup with a SQL statement inside (sql macro). Those sql queries are database checks I am performing.

Now, I want to create an overview of all the checks I am running within those subsites.
This overview should be a traffic light status layout which gives me green or red status lights based on if there is a result in the sql statement of the subsite or not.

What I have figured out is, that a possible soltution would be to have two sections on such a subsite:
1. the query itself
2. a check which returns {status:color=red|title=issues found} if the sql query returns any results and status:green if the query does not return any results.

Then I would be able to create an overview page containing a table and each row of this table contains the {status} syntax of a subsite (i think there is the possibility to show only a specific section of a page).

Does someone have an idea how this could work out?
How could I run a check against a Wiki Markup to figure out if it is empty or not?

Thanks in advance,
Tom

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 26, 2012

You could construct a similar query that is based on the count of rows returned and uses an SQL case statement or similar and returns the text you want to display. For example:

select case 
    when (select count(*) from test_address1 where last = 'Smith') > 0 
    then '{status:color=red|title=issues found}' 
    else '{status:color=green|title=No issues!}' 
end

Use this on your summary page or, if you have to, put that data into metadata or something on the subsite page and bring it in using reporting macro or similar.

TomTom August 26, 2012

Hi Bob, thanks for the quick response!

I actually had that, but it didnt work for me so I thought this is not possible.

My markup contains:

{sql:DataSource=datasource|output=html|table=false|macros=true}
select case
    when (SELECT 0) = 1
end
{sql}

The result looks like this:

Am I missing any parameters here?

TomTom August 26, 2012

I actually had that, but it didnt work for me so I thought this is not possible.

My markup contains:

select case
    when (SELECT 0) = 1
end
{sql}

TomTom August 26, 2012

My markup contains:

select case
    when (SELECT 0) = 1
end
{sql}

TomTom August 26, 2012

My markup contains:

select case
    when (SELECT 0) = 1
end
{sql}

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 26, 2012

Try

{sql:DataSource=datasource|output=wiki|table=false}
select case
    when (SELECT 0) = 1
end
{sql}

Rising Star
Rising Star
August 26, 2012

Try

select case
    when (SELECT 0) = 1
end
{sql}

Rising Star
Rising Star
August 26, 2012

I think you want something more like:

select case
    when (SELECT 0) = 1
end
{sql}
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 26, 2012

See SQL Plugin 4.1.0 released for more information on why your markup may not work as you expected.

TomTom August 26, 2012

Oh, this works great now.
Thank you very much for your help, Bob!

TomTom August 26, 2012

I have to follow this up:
What did you mean with "put that data into metadata or something on the subsite page and bring it in using reporting macro or similar."

Is there a possiblity to also implement this using the reporting plugin? Is there a reporter that can pull the information if a sql query on a child page is empty or not? Or if the Wiki markup is empty or not?
Without storing the result of the sql queries as metadata?

Because then I would not have to duplicate each query, which makes maintaining the queries much easier.

Rising Star
Rising Star
August 26, 2012

I think you need to duplicate the queries, the comment was related to where you wanted to put the 2nd query. On the summary page is the easiest. If you needed to put it on the subsite page, then you need a mechanism to bring it back to the summary page. Reporting/metadata might be able to help with that.

Suggest an answer