Changing workflows and schemas assigned to a project

sabina_szablowska May 18, 2016

Hi,

I have a project in JIRA with a workflow and workflow schema assigned. There are already issues assigned to this project and they are in different statuses.

What I am doing now is designing a new workflow and a new workflow scheme (with different steps, statuses and transitions). What I want to do is, once I complete working on them, to assign them to that existing project.

My question is... what will happen with the existing issues 9assigned to this project) that are currently in a given status, but that status will not exist in the new workflow? What should I expect?

The project is available to the client and I dont want to completely destroy the visibility. I am prepared that I will need to manually fix some things, but what should I expect?

thanks smile

Sabina

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nicolas Bourdages
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 18, 2016

When you change workflows, a migration wizard will start. You'll have the opportunity to select which old status is migrated to which new status for each issue type. Like, you could have "On Hold" Stories mapped to "In Progress", bug "On Hold" Subtasks mapped to "Done".

It's a rather safe process. I've never had to manually fix anything and I've migrated workflows hundreds of times. Just don'tforget to map your new columns in your agile boards, and things should be fine.

1 vote
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 18, 2016

When you assign the new workflow you'll be given an option to designate which status issues should go to if there isn't a matching status in the new workflow. Be aware this is by status name, not position in the workflow so you shouldn't use the same name if the issue shouldn't be in that position in the workflow.

Suggest an answer