Changing workflow scheme of multiple projects

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 18, 2013

Hi

I have a custom workflow which is currently being used by 300 projects. Now, i want to make a minor change to that workflow. How do i do that?

As per the conventional process, i make a copy of the workflow, edit it, then apply it (via workflow scheme) one by one to all the 300 projects.

Applying it to 300 projects manually is a big pain. Any easy of achieving what i want?

Rahul

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Bharadwaj Jannu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 18, 2013

you go to the workflows and select the workflow you want to edit and you click Edit Draft, make changes and publish draft.But it has limitations for which it won't work. You can check in Matheus link.

1 vote
Matheus Fernandes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 18, 2013

Depending on what change you are trying to make and the version of JIRA you are using, you can simply create a draft of that workflow, and then publish the draft. See https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA060/Configuring+Workflow#ConfiguringWorkflow-Editingaworkflow

Matheus Fernandes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 18, 2013

Just keep in mind the restrictions when editing a active workflow:

Please note that the following limitations apply when editing an active workflow (i.e. a draft workflow):

• It is not possible to edit the workflow name (only the description) if a workflow is active.
  • Workflow steps cannot be deleted.
  • A step's associated Status cannot be edited.
  • If a step has no outgoing transitions (Global transitions are not considered), it cannot have any new outgoing transitions added.
  • A step's Step ID cannot be changed.

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 9, 2013

Thanks Matheus....that helps

Lisa Reilly April 29, 2014

Hi there

I am trying to edit the workflow on 4 projects. I am unable to publish my draft because I get an error that says ""cannot publish a draft that is being shared by multiple projects""

All I am trying to change is to set jira.issue.editable from false to true on my Closed workflow step. Is there another easy way to do this?

Like Sebastian likes this
0 votes
Matheus Fernandes
Atlassian Team
September 18, 2013

Depending on what change you are trying to make and the version of JIRA you are using, you can simply create a draft of that workflow, and then publish the draft. See https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA060/Configuring+Workflow#ConfiguringWorkflow-Editingaworkflow

Suggest an answer