Changing workflow for Epics

Abhik Mandal January 11, 2018

I want to change the workflow type of issue type Epics (would like to add new status) and this should reflect across all projects.

However, I don't see any option to change workflow specifically for Epic under current schemes.

1 answer

0 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 11, 2018

Hello,

Do you mean that the workflow for the Epic is also used by other issue types? If so, create a new workflow (copy from the used one), change the copied workflow and associate the copied workflow with the Epic issue type. 

Abhik Mandal January 11, 2018

Fine, let me try copying and then editing the workflow. But how to attach the new workflow to Epics in across projects.

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 11, 2018

Do you use the same workflow scheme for all projects? If so you need to make changes only to this workflow scheme. If you use different schemes then you have to make changes to all used workflow schemes.

You can find more information on how to manage workflows here

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira064/configuring-workflow-schemes-720412604.html

Abhik Mandal January 12, 2018

Hi Alexey,

I've created a new workflow scheme for only Epic issue type but while associating it with projects I get this error -

• There are 91 sub-tasks that will be affected by this change. You must have at least one valid sub-task issue type.
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 12, 2018

You can't have a workflow scheme that only associates one type.  It has to contain mappings for all issue types a project might contain (i.e. every issue type you have).

So, your scheme always contains a default mapping, such that all issues that are not explicitly named in the scheme use that workflow.

It sounds to me like you have built a workflow scheme with a default of your Epic workflow, so when you apply it, the sub-tasks need to be given the new workflow.

Suggest an answer