Changing ticket type(epic, story, task, bugs) with 2 different workflow

Arassen Pillay Samoo May 8, 2017

i have 2 workflows one for epics and one for story, tasks and bugs. once a ticket is created as a story i cant change it to an epic or vice/versa. epics has a product management route while the rest have a development life cycle route.

i have tried to add a shared status(interchange) hoping that if i set it to that status i could switch ticket type. but this did not help. 

is there a way i can achieve what i am trying?

1 answer

1 vote
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 8, 2017

Hello Arassen,

In order to "change" the issueType , you have to move the issue from one type to another. And in the permission scheme of the project you should have the "move permission" - https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/moving-an-issue-776997759.html 

Thus, you don't need a shared workflow status, you can just move the story to the type epic and vice versa.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 8, 2017

And you need create permission in the target project.

Also, you can "just change" the issue type, but only when the workflow and field configuration for source and target issue types are the same schemes.

Like John Luker likes this

Suggest an answer