Changing the default permission scheme

offbeatadam June 27, 2012

In JIRA, the application ships with a "Default Permissions Scheme" already prepared, and it is described as the scheme that is automatically assigned to any new project.

If you remove all projects from this scheme, you are able to delete the scheme. Creating a new scheme afterwards, doesn't give any indication whether its the default. So, now, if you have multiple schemes, and you've deleted the 'default,' it is no longer apparent which scheme is now the default, nor is it apparent how to set the default.

How does one set the default permissions scheme that is used for new projects?

8 answers

8 votes
John Ennew July 26, 2018

The default scheme that was being applied is called *Default software scheme* for me. Trying to be clever I deleted this scheme, then renamed *Default Permission Scheme* to *Default Software Scheme* thinking, that'll now mean the default gets set. But no, Jira was wise to this attempt to make it behave sensibly and has a built in defeat for this tactic  - on the next project that was created, it went and created a new Permission scheme called *Default software scheme - 1

I find this behaviour annoying but I guess this issue has only been open for 6 years so I'm probably just being impatient.

Tamara Lively November 5, 2020

Did you ever find an answer to this?  I would like to keep the Default software scheme but make a different scheme the actual default.  Any suggestions?

1 vote
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 24, 2017

This doesn't fix your problem, but I suggest you treat JIRA as a production system and put it under change control. Then give anyone who doesn't follow the process a couple days off without pay. 

1 vote
Ingrid Maehl July 24, 2017

I have the same problem.  It appears that a scheme other than the Default Permission was set-up and I have no idea how that was set up but I can tell that it was done recently because all of a sudden my new projects have that scheme.   It was not set up correctly which caused issues.  I have another scheme that I prefer to be the default but don't know how to make that happen.

1 vote
Sergio Basurco January 19, 2017

In my case a scheme other than the Default Permission Scheme was the actual default (no idea how it was set). 

1 vote
Mitch Harris October 1, 2013

It would seem sensible to be able to copy the default scheme, edit it and then set the new scheme as the default- is this really not possible?

0 votes
Hitendra Chauhan June 3, 2021

I too want to use different permission scheme as default.

Any one in this community has a solution for this use case.

0 votes
Marta Lopez Reyes _UOC_ March 3, 2016

I have the same problem as @Adam Hubscher

0 votes
Aspect Infra Team
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 27, 2012

you should me missed something - default shema can't be deleted

Suggest an answer