Changing the default order in the issue navigator without adding a sort by clause?

Pablo Beltran
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 22, 2014

Hi,

It looks like the Issue navigator overrides the order of the issues returned by JQL queries by adding some default criteria.

of course, I can force the order by adding an ORDER BY <some value> clause, but is it possible to get the same order than the original returned by JQL functions?

Thanks,

Pablo

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 22, 2014

I'm a bit confused here. If you run JQL with "order by", it comes into the navigator. If you run it without, it uses the default. But what you're asking for is "the same order that the JQL returns it". But unless you put in an order by clause, JQL doesn't actually have an order, it's a list of issues. So what you're asking for is to order a list without specifying any order?

Pablo Beltran
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 22, 2014

Yes, I would like the Issue Navigator respect the same order than the list.

A real case, The Links Hierarchy plugin exports all the issues in the tree:

issue in (AS-12,AS-4,AS-40,AS-65,AS-49,AS-50,AS-51,AS-52,AS-53,AS-54,AS-170)

by using the first-depth algorithm to get the issues in the hierarchy and make the issue key list above.

An user wants to see the same order AS-12, AS-4, etc in the Issue Navigator. Unfortunetely, there is not any custom field that can be used in the ORDER BY clause to get the "hierarchical" order, and the user gets an unexpected/undesired value.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 22, 2014

You've missed my point. The list returned by JQL does not have an order.

You haven't said "order by", so you just get the unsorted list. It's irrelevant what the user typed in, JQL has no results order unless you add an order by clause (and that only kicks in when you're using something that uses it).

What you need to do is write a JQL function that allows you to say "order by what the user typed in". But I can see that getting immensely painful for complex or long queries.

Pablo Beltran
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 22, 2014

The list returned by JQL does not have an order.

I do not agree. Below is the getValues standard function returning values for a JQL function:

public List&lt;QueryLiteral&gt; getValues(			 QueryCreationContext queryCreationContext, FunctionOperand operand,
			TerminalClause terminalClause){

}

It returns a java List object, so plugins can return ArrayList instances which are ordered. However, JIRA overrides this order at some point...

What you need to do is write a JQL function that allows you to say "order by what the user typed in". But I can see that getting immensely painful for complex or long queries.

Absolutelly agree. Even more, sometimes JQL results cannot be sorted by using an ORDER BY clause... another real example: Subversion ALM can return latest commits. It would be nice see them from newer to older in the Issue Navigator, however, JIRA overrides the order and users cannot sort by commit date as this is not a custom field, it is an internal data/attribute.

IMHO JIRA sould not re-order the results by default if an ORDER BY is missing or support some instructions/command/parameter to force the Issue Navigator to respect the original.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 22, 2014

You're mixing up "sort" with "order". Java lists have an order, but that order is arbitrary and internal. They are NOT sorted. The very fact you have to move to an ArrayList to do any useful sorting is a bit of a giveaway here.

What I'm trying to get across is that the order the user types stuff in is not relevant to the sorting of the results. It would be painful and complex to impose that in all but the most simple of cases. Besides which, you have the option to add the order clause when you need it.

Saitej Poosarla November 23, 2016

I have a similar issue. In my JQL function, I have sorted the results in the way I want to display to the user and then added to the QueryLiteral ArrayList. But the Issue Navigator ignores the sorted list and Orders all the results by default condition. Is there any way to show them the results in an sorted manner.

@Nic Brough [Adaptavist] / @Pablo Beltran [Kinto Soft] need your help!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 23, 2016

I think it's the same answer as above - the issue navigator is coded to look for "order by" or whatever the standard sort order is.  Your function is giving it a list of issues to work with, but not the order, because you've done it inside the list, and not with an "order by" clause it can read.

Saitej Poosarla November 23, 2016

Is there a way to give order to the Issue Navigator through JQL function programmatically?

Why am I asking ?: Because I am looking at 0% user involvement with the query.

E.g. User types the above query and exports/ analyzes / visualizes the results without having the need to type ORDER BY <Attribute>. Where most of the time, it is ordered by multiple attributes and the sequence also matters. I want that complex work to be done by the JQL function.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 23, 2016

Again, it's coded to respond to an "order by" clause.

Suggest an answer