Changing the Team field on transition

Deleted user December 30, 2020

Goal

Automatically assign a known group or team when an issue transitions. We will use the group/team as a trigger to notify several users that the issue is ready for any of them to pick it up.

Attempted solutions

I was hoping to leverage the standard Jira Teams object. That doesn't appear to be assignable in any way, so I moved on. I really don't see the use of this object at all.

I moved on to Shared Teams from Advanced Roadmaps. This allows me to choose from any Shared Team created on the Adv Roadmap side on my issues. Works great.

The problem 

I added a post action on transition to change the custom Team field (from Adv Roadmaps), but I can't get the post action to register. For lack of a better answer, I'm just setting the shared team name I'm after. Is there an ID or some kind of function I have to invoke in the custom field value?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Deleted user December 30, 2020

Thanks to an answer here, I managed to find the team ID I was after: "Team[Team]" = 12

Now I just need to know what to do with it …

Based on that linked answer and some digging into Project Automation, I realized that transition post actions are a thing of the past. It's time to ditch my old habits.

Getting to the Adv Roadmap Team custom field in Jira and finding the right Team ID is anything but straightforward (again see the linked answer). Once I jumped through those hoops, Automation is not only easier to set up, it also allows me to make changes on the fly. Anyone who's tried to update transitions after deploying a Workflow knows how miserable that's always been. Eliminating that suffering from my life alone makes Automations based on transitions my new favorite feature.

If you're experimenting with advanced field manipulation in Automation, this article is also helpful.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events