Changing the Kanban project to Scrum project

Sarang Chitre September 18, 2016

I have created a Kanban type of project. Now I want to change it to the Scrum kind of project so that I can define sprints. Is there any way I can change the project type to Scrum and start using sprints.?

2 answers

1 vote
Jose Isaac Gutierrez Banda December 2, 2020

Jira es very bad admin project, is better Monday 

0 votes
Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 18, 2016

Hi Sarang Chitre

Although you created the project as a Kanban project it is very simple to add a Scrum board to it. A project can use both Kanban and Scrum views at the same time. Which is very useful for looking at different aspects of the project eg planned work (Scrum) vs support work (Kanban)

The way this is achieved is each board (Scrum and Kanban) should use a filter which excludes any items not to be considered. So if we take my example above and assume that all support work is of the issue type "BUG" we could have the following two JQL filters.

Scrum Board 
project = ABC AND issuetype != "BUG" 

Kanban Board

project = ABC AND issuetype = "BUG" 

As your existing Kanban board has a filter already defined you should go in and edit that filter to match what criteria you want to use for the Kanban board.

For your Scrum board you should follow these steps.

1. Create a Filter with the appropriate criteria.
  2. Save and share the filter with the appropriate colleagues
  3. Create a Scrum board based on the saved filter

You should now have both boards available for your project. Please note you can also apply the same principle across multiple projects by using 

project in (ABC,DEF,GHI)

where ABC,DEF,GHI are the project keys.

Hope this helps

Sarang Chitre September 18, 2016

How do I create Sprints.? I am not getting the "Create Sprint" button.

CarlE November 29, 2017

+1

Dorit Grosman May 6, 2019

+1

pmprete August 20, 2019

On Settings -> Features you need to activate the Backlog first, then you can activate the Sprints.
Once you have that enabled you'll see the "Create Sprint" button

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer