Changing issue type when a workflow transition occurs

Sheila Shah August 5, 2014

Hi - I'm in cloud. I added an new issue type called 'wishlist' and a new status 'proposed'. And created a new workflow around it such that when a new issue is created with issue type = wishlist, the status is 'Proposed'. When someone Approves it (transition), the status becomes 'planned' and follows the regular jira defaul workflow. All other issue types follow the default jira workflow. I wanted to know if it's possible that one someone approves an Wishlist issue that the issue type can automatically change from Wishlist to User Story. Is there a way to do that? I searched and couldnt but I'm wondering if I missed something.

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Vidic Florjan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 5, 2014

>> I wanted to know if it's possible that one someone approves an Wishlist issue that the issue type can automatically change from Wishlist to User Story.

Hi Sheila,

As far as I know, you can't. Link to one of related questions with answer:

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/220469/change-issue-type-automatically-on-transition

Regards,
FLorjan

Vidic Florjan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 5, 2014

I suggest that you have only one issue type (e.g. User Story) and another custom field with two values (e.g. Wishlist and Approved Request).

With such approach you will be able to move to different statuses on transition based on value in new custom field. You will be also able to change value of this custom field on transition.

To have more post-functions on workflow transitions you need to enable JIRA Suite Utilities and JIRA Misc Workflow Extensions plugins on your ondemand instrance.

3 votes
D_ J_ Taylor February 10, 2021

You can absolutely do this within JIRA using Automation

Follow these steps:

> Click Project Settings in the left-hand navigation panel

> Click Automation (third option from the top)

> Click Create Rule in the top right corner

> Use the "Issue Transitioned" Trigger

> Select your "From" and "To" statuses

> Click Save

> Click New Action under the Add Component area

> Choose Edit issue in the Recommended list of actions.

> Choose Issue Type in the list of fields to edit

> Choose the issue type to which it should transition

> Click Save

> Name your Automation

> Click Turn it On

> ALL DONE!

Screen Shot 2021-02-10 at 2.44.38 PM.png

0 votes
Steven Mustari
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 29, 2020

I have a scripted function I use to move issue types to different workflows. It is certainly possible to script this out using script runner.

Our use case is a triage process in one of our service desk projects that depending on team selection it sends the issue to one of 5 different workflows/issue types.

Regards,

Steven

Stacy Haller February 11, 2022

@Steven Mustari 

Can you provide the script you used?  

Thanks!

Stacy

Steven Mustari
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 11, 2022

I might've been too quick to the draw on my answer here. The script I have is for DC/Server and not in Cloud. I would need to spend some time to see if this is possible through to API to do.

Apologies for my original short sighted answer to this one!

0 votes
Anna Bylina December 1, 2016

I have the same need, but we use server, can anyone please recommend on the addon/way to do it?

Basically the request is such:

We are creating the issues automatically via Scumblr (automated crawler) and the issue created of type A.

There's a specific group of users that need that this issue would have special fields, that relevant only for them, so I've created another issue type with all those fields. Those fields are irrelevant for other users in other projects which all are using type issue of type A. So, I thought of finding a path to convert upon creation all issues from type A to type B.

Is there more elegant solution that I didn't think of?

0 votes
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 5, 2014

Update issues post function from Update on Transition for JIRA can change the issue type and other things. The point of the referenced answer is that you need to be careful, however in many standard use cases it is fine. In other cases, you may need to provide or update other fields. Test your use cases to make sure it behaves as expected.

Vidic Florjan
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 5, 2014

Hi,

I saw in marketplace that this add-on is not available for Cloud. Is this information right?

Regards,
Florjan

Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 5, 2014

Sorry, it is not available for Cloud (OnDemand) at this time. Vote and watch CW-18.

Like Josh Hemond likes this

Suggest an answer