Changing context of custom fields

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 7, 2013

Hi All

We have about 120 custom fields and most of them have a global context.

My question is what are the advantages of limiting the scope from global to only the projects that use those custom fields?

I am aware that it will result in less re-index time.

Rahul

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Stephane Oberlechner
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 7, 2013

Hi Rahul,

I give you 3 good reasons to use specific context (for project):

1) in the simple research mode, on the left panel, you find actually global customfields (CF) : if you have 120 CF, you have a list of 120 CF : Not very fun for users. When you define a specific context (for a project), you can see CF depending on the projects you only select

2) In the DB, using global CF, a value (even Null) is allocated for every single issue you create (I did the control myself using a jira 4.4.4 plateform). It means when you create 1 issue, you reserve 120 space, often pointlessly. Take care if you have a lot of issues (I've got +300K)

3) It will be more easier to customise specific values, for projects, using the same customfield, in the future!

I've got 140 CF, only 7 are global.

I hope you understand, sorry for my level in english, I need to practice!

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 11, 2013

Thanks Stephane...

Suggest an answer