Changing a JIRA project into a JIRA Agile project?

Gabe Colors January 9, 2016

Or do I mean "adding agile" to our standard project?

I've read the q/a from 2013 but I cannot find any way to setup agile for our standard JIRA project. Is it an add on? Is it not in my $10 a month? All the answers are detailed about what it is, and why and how to setup yourself but i need the idiot version-- where is the damn button to turn it on? Thanks

When I create a new project  can choose scrum-- but when I try to change the project I only see the option to change it to Business???
Maybe I already have an agile scrum project but how would I know and if so how do I get into plan mode?

Screenshot 2016-01-09 16.41.54.png

Re the required selections below:

God I don't know what JIRA core is. Nor what our deployment is. And yes I am the admin. 

3 answers

0 votes
Nick Witvrouwen October 11, 2017

I am facing the same problem here.

No problem creating a Scrum/Kanban Software project from scratch.

However, I would like to convert some old projects that were created using the old 'Basic software development' template into an agile project.

I have changed the workflow, issue types, etc.. but nothing seems to be working.

Any suggestions?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 11, 2017

Go to the list of projects as an admin, and edit the project, you'll find you can swap it to "software" in there.

It is however, just a flag.  It won't change anything in the project setup (unlike the service desk flag).  You'll need to do the workflows and other config, as well as create the board(s) you want by hand.

Nick Witvrouwen October 12, 2017

Well, the project is already a 'software' project, and the workflows I copied from an actual scrum project (that was made from the template)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 12, 2017

Ok, so you've done the reconfiguration, are you still stuck somewhere?

Nick Witvrouwen October 13, 2017

I would expect to find a 'Create Board' button somewhere, and some Agile report options that I see in the other software projects.

So, yes, I guess I am stuck ;-)

Below is a screenshot of the menu bar. It IS a software project, but without the board.

I am very new at Jira, so my apologies if I have overlooked something obvious.

Capture.PNG

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 13, 2017

Go back to the dashboard (out of the project) and look for the "boards" option there.  Go into it and you should be offered "create new board" - best bet is to create one based on your project (rather than a filter or creating a new project).  Because the filter it generates is very clearly for your project, you should find the project now defaults to using that one.

Nick Witvrouwen October 16, 2017

Thanks again Nic for your reply.

Looks like the new Jira 'Experience' layout did not offer me the ' boards' option.

Capture.PNG.

When I switched back to the classic mode, the board dropdown box is there.

In the meantime, I found that within the new Jira layout, I can go to the same boards screen by search->boards->view all boards. And indeed there I can create a new board.

Took me a while to get there, but problem solved ;-) thanks

0 votes
Gabe Colors January 9, 2016

We are not deploying on our server so must be cloud.

Is this $10 additional for the "Software" version or can we switch?
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 10, 2016

Go to your my.atlassian account and you'll be able to switch over.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 9, 2016

JIRA Core is plain Jira, an issue tracker. 

JIRA Software is JIRA Core plus an additional application which is aimed at Agile users.  Under JIRA six and below, this was an add on, called "agile" (or grasshopper if you are old enough)

To add Software or Agile, you do need to pay, but are you on Cloud or Server installations?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 9, 2016

Damn you autocorrect. Greenhopper, not grasshopper

Suggest an answer