Change the administrator username in Jira

Andreas Boehmer September 2, 2013

Is there any way to change the username of the administrator?

Alternatively, can you tell me if there is a way to create an entirely new account and make that the new administrator? I saw a mention of an "administrator role" somewhere, but haven't been able to figure out how to give somebody admin access over the entire company account (rather than just individual projects).

Thanks

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Theinvisibleman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 2, 2013

Hi Andreas,

You can grant a user as the admin of the entire instance via granting the user the 'JIRA Administrators' or 'JIRA Syatem Administrators' Global Permissions. For more details about this, please visit this documentation page - Managing Global Permissions.

Also, as Harry mentioned, you can rename the username of your users starting from JIRA 6, as mentioned in the Release Notes

1 vote
HarryH
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 2, 2013

To assign the user to admin role, you can go to "Users" admnistration page, and there are two actions you can do on a single user.

I think "Groups" is the one you want, and "Project Roles" can be assigned for different project roles.

1 vote
HarryH
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 2, 2013

Jira 6 and later has the functionality to rename a user, also you can take user of the free plugin to rename, it is at https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.onresolve.jira.groovy.groovyrunner

Suggest an answer