Change the ID of workflow transition

Alon Erez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 15, 2012

Hi,

Is it possible to change the id of a workflow transition ?

When I create a transition it automatically gets an id based on a number ( 1,11,21 ...). The numbers used are the same in each workflow, so the ID for a transition is not unique, but will be the sane for different projects using different workflows. So the transition open can have an id of action_id_11 in one project and action_id_21 in another.

Can this be changed ? Perhaps using the workflow XML file ?

Thanks,

Alon

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 15, 2012

Yes, you can export a workflow, change the IDs of transitions and re-import it. Not sure that there is any useful benefit in doing it, but it can be done.

Alon Erez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 15, 2012

Worked great using the XML export import.

The motivation is because in one project I'm using CSS to highlight specific transition buttons. I don't want them to be highlighted in projects using different workflow.

Thanks.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 15, 2012

Ah, good.

I'd be trying to use something other than the ID, as it really is effectively a random number, but this works, and I'm an engineer (so "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" is instinctive)

Alon Erez
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 15, 2012

I'll be happy to hear if you have an idea how to do this in a better way.

For now I have added css to the announcement banner:
<!-- #action_id_181 {background: #FFEE33;} -->

I can't say I like the solution, but it works.

Jayashree Shetty
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 15, 2012

Do we have to actually do this thing?Doesnt JIRA allow you to customize the Key name?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 15, 2012

What do you mean by "key name"? The label of the transition (the "name" the users see) is editable in the UI.

Volodymyr Chugai February 12, 2016

Jayashree Shetty, I assume means change Transitions (id).

Please, let me know, if I could change it by another way without Administrator rights.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 12, 2016

No, you have to be an admin to change workflows (and this changing of IDs is pointless too)

Volodymyr Chugai February 12, 2016

Nic Brough [Adaptavist]

Ok, what is more suitable from your point of view?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 12, 2016

More suitable than what?

Charlie Misonne
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 3, 2016

a good reason for doing this in my case: we are calling the RES API to transition issues. The api needs the transition id's

We have a test and a production environment of JIRA. You can imagine having the same transition id's in both environments is much more convenient

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 3, 2016

Mmm, testing stuff that isn't like production doesn't sound that useful.  And if you're testing stuff to go into production, well, it's going to change anyway.

Volodymyr Chugai March 8, 2016

Nic Brough [Adaptavist], I just mean why do you think  that changing of IDs is pointless too?

My last goal - just make more comfortable using of JIRA (by reducing qty of clicks).

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 8, 2016

Because there's no use for it.  As described above. 

Well, there are some uses mentioned, but in the real world, it's easier, faster and more useful to achieve the same end goal in other ways.

Suggest an answer