Change status in workflow / rename workflow

Laurent Bierge
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 1, 2017

Hi,

I'm doing some cleaning in my JIRA and i want to change some status of workflows.

(apparently, it can't be done while the workflow is active)

The method that i came by consist of :

• copy the workflow
  • change status in the copy
  • replace the old workflow by the new one
  • mapping with the new state.
  • rename the "copy of /workflowname/" in "/workflowname/"

But the last step doesn't work because the "copy of .." is active. So it can be done like that.

To workaround i came by:

• copy the workflow
  • supress the old (JIRA will affect the issue type to new workflow)
  • mapping some statuses that doesn't make sense to me.
  • change state in the copy
  • rename the new workflow in "/workflowname/"
  • mapping with statuses that doesn't make sense to me.

While it is working, i'm not sure of the after effects of all that mapping. My guess is that when i suppress the first workflow, all the status that are important to me are mapped the way i want  in order to concord with an existing workflow in the workflow scheme. After that, when i map the new one, i can't guess which status to map with the new statuses.

Is there a simpler the solution that i can use to change a status in a workflow ? or rename it ? (maybe the simpler is just to put "/workflowname/ V2"...)

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Niclas Sandstroem
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 2, 2017

Your on the right track if the name is important just do a second copy.

1. Copy the workflow you want to update.
  2. Implement the changes new workflow.
  3. Make a copy of the new workflow 
  4. Rename this and implement this. (Since this is the same as new workflow no mapping is needed).

I think this would be to much work in a big instance and would look into how to do it programatically if requested. 
If I could decide myself I would go with the v1, v2 naming convention of the workflows. 

0 votes
Laurent Bierge
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 2, 2017

Well, even if it's time consuming i prefer keeping the old name.

Thank you for your answer !

I'm not familiar with JIRA API or programming with JIRA yet. Maybe i'll look into that !

Suggest an answer