Change order of the date fields in Dates area and role in issue view of JIRA

Susanne Harelius [Riada]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 12, 2013

I have a couple of custom fields of type date and they all appear on the Dates area when viewing an issue. My customer wants them in the order they are set in the workflow (created, updated, regustered, sent for specification etc).

Is it possible to change the order the fields appear?

The same goes for the roles.

Thankful for suggestions!

6 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
AlaA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 13, 2013

Hi Susame,

As I understand from the question, you want the dates appearing in the issue details screen, to be ordered based on your customer's preference. If that's the case, I'm afraid it's not possible within JIRA default configuration. The solution for this may include some coding to change the order of those fields.

However, let's see if any of the other users may help to find a work-around to achieve what you require.

Cheers,

Susanne Harelius [Riada]
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 13, 2013

Thanks! Then I know and can tell my customer. If they still do need it I will look into the coding alternative.

0 votes
Susanne Harelius [Riada]
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 14, 2013

Thanks Victor! I can now then reorder the custom fields but not the built-in fields. I hope the customer can live with that. They do not have Agile yet.

Good idea with the global transition :)

0 votes
Vidic Florjan
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 14, 2013
0 votes
Vidic Florjan
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 14, 2013

I will try to explain the process of positioning the User and Date fields in Issue Detailed view (without programming or changing system files). I hope that you will get an idea to prepare workaround that will satisfy your customer.

A 'screen scheme' allows you to choose which screen will be shown to a JIRA user when they perform a particular issue operation. View Issue operation is connected with the screen that is shown when a user views an issue.

You can set the order of the custom fields from this screen:
(go to Administration, click on Screen, select your screen and reorder fields or go to Administration, select your project, go to Screen tab,…).

1. Date fields from view screen are always positioned in Dates section on the right side of the issue . First are displayed standard jira fields (created, updated and resolved). Custom fields dates are situated after standard fields (only fields which are not empty). They are ordered as defined in field table in Screen form.

Behaviour of the user fields (of types User Picker, Multi User Picker,…) is almost the same.

2. User fields from view screen are always positioned in People section on the right side of the issue . First are displayed standard jira fields (assignee, reporter – it is possible to reorder these fields on Edit screen, not on View screen). Custom fields dates are situated after standard fields (only fields which are not empty). They are ordered as defined in field table in Screen form.

Each issue type can have different screen (for different customers) with different order of the fields.

You can also prepare custom screen with properly ordered Date fields and link it to button in workflow area (edit workflow, add Global transition, add screen name in Transition View field)

If you have Jira Agile plugin:
It is possible to configure Issue Detailed view, users in Users section and dates in Dates section in Jira Agile (in Agile board click Configure, select Issue Detailed View and reorder fields.).

0 votes
Susanne Harelius [Riada]
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 13, 2013

Vidic, same order for all projects as far as I know.

0 votes
Vidic Florjan
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 13, 2013

One question: Do you need to prepare different order of the fields for different customers in the project or not?

Suggest an answer