Change order of multiple issues within a backlog.

Rakshit Rekhi January 9, 2017

I wish to move multiple issues over other issues within my backlog. Is there a way I can select more than one issue within my backlog and change their order. Currently I tried selecting multiple issues using ctrl+click and then when I try to move by clicking one of the selected issues only the one I click moves, not the whole batch.

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 9, 2017

You got me a bit confused as you mention the backlog but tag your question as jira-core. If you really talk about the backlog view of a scrum board in JIRA Software, you can move the batch with drag and drop.

Rakshit Rekhi January 9, 2017

My bad, I am talking about the backlog view of a scrum board in JIRA Software. When I try to select multiple issues and drag them, only one (the one I click) moves. 

Like Janet Dykstra likes this
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 9, 2017

No problem. What version are you on? I tested this on Cloud and JIRA 7.2 server. In both cases I can move multiple issues at once. I go about like this:

• Select 1 issue
  • Select additional issues (holding ctrl or cmd on mac)
  • Drag to a different location (a red number pops up showing how many issues are going to be dropped)
  • Let go

And all issues move to the new location.

I did also test with a selection of issues that were in different places in the backlog. So they don't even have to be adjacent. I don't know if this might be browser specific though. I used Chrome.

Rakshit Rekhi January 10, 2017

The functionality works just fine. I think the confusing part is the fact that even when you select multiple issues, the drag and drop functionality only shows that one issue is being moved and the red bubble which shows the number of rows being moved is not really visible at first. I guess it was more of a user acceptance issue. Thanks again for the help!

Like darthwalsh likes this
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 10, 2017

You're welcome!

0 votes
Sten Sundelin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 9, 2017

Do you have "Schedule Issues" permission for all the Projects in which the issues belong? (Including any projects the issues may have been moved from!) If not, any changes will revert immediately.

Suggest an answer