Change from WAR-Installation to Binary-Installation

Deleted user April 23, 2014

We are currently running JIRA 5.2 with the WAR File. Now I have to upgrade it to the newest Jira-Version and migrate to a new Server, running CentOS 6.5. On the new Server I'd like to go with the .bin-Installer, which should make it more easy for future upgrades.

Is there a "best way" to change from war to the .bin? How would you guys do it? I couldn't find anything about it in the documentation. (sad)

Regards
Marco

2 answers

0 votes
Deleted user April 24, 2014

I followed all your instructions:

- install the same jira-Version on the new host

- copy the prod-DB to a new database

- copy the data directory from the prod to the new installation (and correct the permissions)

- edit the dbconfig.xml and relink to the prod-Copy

- connect to the server-IP on Port 8080

But instead of the same site like on the production, I just get redirected to the Jira-Setup page.

Any idea why this could be?

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 23, 2014

First, examine why you've used the WAR installation. It was either because you don't want to use the bundled Tomcat or you've got customised code.

If it's the application server, then all you need to do is plan to support Tomcat instead of the old one, fire up the new installtion and point it at your current database.

If it's the customisations, then you need to examine them with a view to throwing them away (the WAR does make it easy to look after customised code, poking stuff into the standalone distributions tends to be a pain to manage - I've yet to see any site do it in a sane controlled way that a new Jira admin can handle easily, I despise inheriting hacked standalone installations), or working out how to apply them into the new copy. Once you've worked that out, create the new installation and point it at your existing data

In both cases, you'll want to copy the contents of Jira "home" to the new server, and I've assumed you are using identical versions - i.e. moving from WAR-5.2 to Standalone-5.2. And upgrade to a later version is another step...

Deleted user April 23, 2014

Actually it was just because we started small for just one team (development) in our company. And they just tried to go with the war.. Nobody really knows why! ;) Now the whole company uses it, and we have to install it more professional..

So I can just install the same Version on a new Server, link to a copy of the production database, and copy the home directory to the new Server? is that right? (Not speeking from upgrading on 6.xx right now, step by step! ;) )

I tried doing this. Installed Jira 5 from scratch, linked to the new Database and all, but then, the jira-setup Screen appears again! And none of our productive Data is there.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 23, 2014

Ah, yes, "we don't know why". This is probably a killer - if you don't know why, and you can't find a source-controlled copy of the "edit-webapp" directory, you're acting blind, and you'll have to work on the assumption that they didn't make any hacks.

So, on that assumption, yes, you should be able to install the same version on a new server, copy the home directory, and point it at the old database. However, you do need to check the dbconfig.xml file to make sure it really does point at the right database. Then, read the logs to find out why Jira thinks there's nothing in there.

followed all your instructions:

- install the same jira-Version on the new host

- copy the prod-DB to a new database

- copy the data directory from the prod to the new installation (and correct the permissions)

- edit the dbconfig.xml and relink to the prod-Copy

- connect to the server-IP on Port 8080

But instead of the same site like on the production, I just get redirected to the Jira-Setup page.

Any idea why this could be? Is there somewhere a file like "firstinstall" which I'll have to delete?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 24, 2014

No, the "first install" is decided when Jira looks at the database you've connected it to. If it finds something like a Jira installation, it will check it for upgrades, if it doesn't find anything, it will attempt to create empty tables and run the setup wizard.

I'd guess that it's found an empty database, or even can't connect properly.

Could you read the application logs to see what it's doing as it starts up?

Hey Nic..

thanks a lot for your advice! It was really a database problem! Our developer worked with a special DB-Schema, where the user didn't have enough privileges! -.-

Now I can go on with the update procedure as documentated.

Thanks again
Marco

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 24, 2014

Excellent! My next trick was to try the database connection manually and hence see what Jira sees, but you don't need that now...

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events