Change fields in issue types for specific projects

Alexandra Guerra August 11, 2013

I need to make some changes to a couple of Issue Type Fields for a specific project alone.

i.e. Add some custom fields to Business Impact and Issue issue types

Currently, almost all of our projects use the same Field Configuration and FC Scheme, as well as Screen Schemes etc.

The change needs to be made to a major project, so I don’t want any problems to happen if I convert to a new scheme or configuration

The difference between the configs, schemes and screens are extremely confusing, and the online help pages aren’t clear on how to do this specific task. If someone could help me with step by step instructions on how I make issues have different fields for different projects that would be super helpful!

Thanks!

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alexandra Guerra August 20, 2013

I've just created new types and schemes as per your suggestions and i think i have figured it out in terms of creating new ones all together. I will still be concerned with altering screens, field configs and schemes for existing projects that have such a high visibility and importance. I'll contact support if I need any further information.

0 votes
richie_gee
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 11, 2013

Hi Alexandra,

About your request, my suggestion is for your to try understanding from the documetation below by associating screens with issue type.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Associating+Screen+and+Issue+Operation+Mappings+with+an+Issue+Type

I do understand the documentation might be a bit information overloaded, but it will definitely help in a longer run where you will need to configure another screen for another issue.

For step by step, you can follow the steps on the documentation provided as a starter and understand further about the requirement later. Do not worry about affecting the existing configurations, try to create new schemes and new association rather than edit the existing configuration or scheme. This will assist you to revert back to the original setting if things went wrong.

Also, you can always launch a test instance to test out the settings before changing it on production instance.

Lastly, if you bump into any errors or stuck on some configuration roadblock, support team can be reachable at support.atlassian.com to further assist you on that.

Hope this helps, you can post as comment here if you need more suggestion from me. Cheers :)

Alexandra Guerra August 11, 2013

If I associate an existing issue type (such as 'Business Impact') with a screen scheme, will it change the scheme it is associated with for the whole JIRA Instance. It says this in the notes: There can only be one association for each issue type.

These instructions don't mention anything about configuring fields - is this a different action?

Also, how do i launch a test instance of our JIRA on Demand?

Suggest an answer