Change e-mail template problem

This should be easy but I must be doing something wrong.

I am on JIRA 5.0.7.

We use HTML format as a default.

I am looking to add the Fix Version(s) to the email for issue udpates.

On my server I go to:

C:\Program Files\Atlassian\JIRA\atlassian-jira\WEB-INF\classes\templates\email\html

and edit:

issueupdated.vm

I added the following table row with some simple text:

</td>
</tr>

<tr valign="top">
	<td>
		This is a test of the e-mail template system.
	</td>
</tr>

#end
#parse("templates/email/html/includes/footer.vm")

I then changed this file as well:

C:\Program Files\Atlassian\JIRA\atlassian-jira\WEB-INF\classes\templates\email\subject\issueupdated.vm

and changed the text from:

($issue.key) $issue.summary

To:

($issue.key) $issue.summary - Test

I save my files and restart JIRA. I change an issue and get an e-mail but I do not see any of my changes.

I thought this could be done directly via the templates or do I have to have the src code.

Or is there a step I am missing here.

Thanks

4 answers

1 accepted

Thanks Norman. As much as I did not want to do that it helped a ton. Not only that but I fgiured out how to complete all the work.

Now only if you didn't have to restart JIRA to get your changes to take.

See also this question for disabling caching, great for your TEST server.

FYI, JEMH has a live Velocity template editor, no restarts required ;)

Yes you should be able to do that, the steps are right. Are you getting a text or a html notification (for the content), the subject change should work, I do this a lot.

It might be silly, but is there one and only one JIRA installation on your machine?

I would change both the text as well as the html files. I would also change all the email templates and figure out which email template is actually being used if your changes still does not work.

Your welcome! How about a little karma by voting up my comment since my suggestion was useful to you.

No problem. Done!

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,760 views 11 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot