Change a projects type

pnelsonsr November 30, 2015

Just setup a cloud JIRA instance and it asked me to create a project.  I did and it created a project that is Software type.  My project was more of a Business type. I there a way to change that or do I need to delete and recreate?

2 answers

3 votes
Akeem Hoque November 30, 2015

Simple fix dude.. 

First make sure you have Admin rights...

1. Go to Settings (top right conner)
  2.  Projects > (You should see a list of all the projects) 
  3. Under "Operations"  
  4. click on "Change project type" 
  5. From the drop down menu click on "Business" and click Change. 

=) 

pnelsonsr December 1, 2015

This changes just between Software and Business. But when I recreated the project it had a few more descriptive options. I wonder if those options display if I try and change the project type...

Like Breanna Deal likes this
Akeem Hoque December 2, 2015

That's normal.. But you can choose to customize to your heart's content. =)

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 29, 2016

The project type is mostly for telling JIRA how to do the initial setup, and then later (JIRA 7 onwards), classification as well.  As Akeem says, you can "customise to your heart's content" later - that means changing the project schemes to ones suitable for your newly selected project type (or other schemes that work better)

Like My MR likes this
Neena Kapil Talreja June 26, 2021

Hi Akeem,

Request you kindly let me know where is the operations tab?? couldn't locate under projects??

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 27, 2021

No-one mentioned a tab.

Try the operation menu next to each project.

Zachary Hayes October 15, 2021

@Neena Kapil Talreja if you're not seeing "Operations", try the ... drop down, then Edit, and then there's a dropdown to change the Project Type,

0 votes
Randy White August 14, 2019

How do I create a new Type other than Business, Software or Service Desk, we had different types when I was at the FAA. I cannot seem to create a new type in the current software. 

Randy

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 14, 2019

Those types have sub-types, but my guess is that the FAA used Cloud Jira, and your new place does not.  The sub-types list on Cloud is a LOT longer (but still fixed)

Randy White August 15, 2019

The FAA did not have the cloud 3 years ago, it was server based. We build Flight Simulators and the Types do not match our engineering and development.  We have Engineering, mechanical electrical and software, along with fabrication. I am having to build everything under Software

Randy

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 15, 2019

In that case, the types you had at the FAA were provided by apps that added more project types.

Suggest an answer