Change Status and Solution

Pira Prathadsan January 14, 2014

Hello,

I am using Jira Atlassian OnDemand.
I have created test cases and bugs.

Once I have created a test case and tested it, I would like to set the status to the relevant and the solution to pass or fail. Right now, I can only click on completed, then the status automatically goes to COMPLETED and the solution remains as not completed. i cant change neither of those two options to what I like.

Please can someone advise, as this is putting my work on pause right now!

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Hello,

Sorry for the wording. Because i use the german version, hence why. i just got the correct wording. I am talking about the status and the resolution. all i want is, so that i can close a test case and then mention wether its pass or fail ?

i know there are no test cases as issue types, hence why i created a new issue type called test case. there is also no pass or fail criteria for resolution, so i created this too.

but anyway, whether pass or fail works or not, right now when i close an issue, it always shows the resolutions as not completed and it wont select me anything else.

i have pretty much used the standard jira settings. all i done was creating a project, then the issue type called test case and the pass and fail criteria for resolutions.

once i closed a ticket (test case) i can see the workflow. but there is not really much i can do with the workflow. important is for me, so that i can set a fixed or not fixed at least! there is not any option right now. i can only close tickets, and it would say completed. thats all!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 14, 2014

Excellent, that's a really good explanation of what you've done and it helps me match the words I'm using to what you're saying. There's certainly no need to apologise for the wording, all of us are probably guilty of uncertain translations, and I know I use bad words a lot.

I think there's two parts to the question here, although they are linked. One part is about Status, and the other about resolution.

Status is an indicator of where an issue is in it's workflow.

Resolution is a flag field that says "this issue is dealt with". It is not really tied to the workflow, but almost everyone needs to tie it in, so that it is set when the users move through the workflow into a status that means "we don't need to do any more with this issue" (like "closed")

In your case, I would get an admin login and go to the workflow your project is using and look at the transitions. I suspect they are missing the facility to set a resolution. The usual way to do it is to have a "screen" that includes the resolution field and associate it with "close issue" or "complete issue" transitions. When that is done, the user is asked to provide a resolution when they close an issue, and I think that would solve your problem.

But you do need to look at the workflows to check this - the default Jira workflow already works like that, so I think you're using a customised one.

Thanks a lot for the detailed answer. I am the administrator of the account. How can I do what you suggested. Could you give me an exact one to one step please ? I am new to this, and I need to get this solved asap. Should I just open a workflow of a ticket, or is there a way to generally go to workflof settings or such ?

Thanks a lot

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 14, 2014

Ok, what you probably want to do is copy your existing workflow, change the new one so it does what you need, put it into a "workflow scheme" and then change your project so that it uses the new scheme.

The link I gave earlier is well worth a read on this subject, it's better written than anything I've posted!

0 votes

there is no resolve button or such. Only a start progress, stop progress and done button.
so, how can the resolution of a ticket be classified ? there is no positive and negative resolution classification right now.

0 votes

Hello,

what do you mean by setup ?

I have just created a project, then started specifiying the test cases.

now, i havent really done anything to the test cases in terms of workflows.

how do i amend the workflow, so that i can change the solution and the status ?

your help is very much appreciated!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 14, 2014

That's actually useful information in explaining your setup :-)

The question of setup is about what you've done to customise Jira. The main question ihere is probably around what workflow you are using, but if you've "created a project and started specifying test cases", then it's quite likely that you are using the default workflow.

However, your usage of the word "completed" implies that you are NOT using the default workflow, because Jira doesn't have "completed". Similar problem with the word "solution" - we don't know what that is.

So, we need to know what you and your admins have done to configure this Jira.

You're also talking about test cases, which are not standard issue types in Jira, so the next question is how you're doing them - are you using plain Jira and have simply defined "test case" as an issue type? Or are you using a testing add-on like Zephyr?

Workflow stuff is at https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+Workflowbut I think you need to explain roughly what your setup is before you get stuck into hacking that!

Sorry for the wording. Because i use the german version, hence why. i just got the correct wording. I am talking about the status and the resolution. all i want is, so that i can close a test case and then mention wether its pass or fail ?

i know there are no test cases as issue types, hence why i created a new issue type called test case. there is also no pass or fail criteria for resolution, so i created this too.

but anyway, whether pass or fail works or not, right now when i close an issue, it always shows the resolutions as not completed and it wont select me anything else.

i have pretty much used the standard jira settings. all i done was creating a project, then the issue type called test case and the pass and fail criteria for resolutions.

once i closed a ticket (test case) i can see the workflow. but there is not really much i can do with the workflow. important is for me, so that i can set a fixed or not fixed at least! there is not any option right now. i can only close tickets, and it would say completed. thats all!

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 14, 2014

You've not explained how all of this is set up. It sounds like you simply need to amend your workflow to allow the status changes you want to work with. But we don't know what you've got now...

Suggest an answer