Change Status Name used in many workflows

Tonya Lafontaine July 7, 2017

I need to change a status name used in 40+ active workflows. Is there a way to "bulk" name change?

A user (with admin rights) modified the name of "In Progress" to her own status and it changed our "In Progress" status across all workflows to her own status. I'm trying to avoid going into each workflow and fixing her mess.

1 answer

0 votes
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 7, 2017

Hi Tonya,

The initial change will need to be reverted first.  If you change one of the default statuses that will change it on every other issue as you have seen so to get the In Progress status back for your other issues you'll need to revert that status back to In Progress.

Once that is corrected, you should create a new status and have the other user create a workflow and add that status to the workflow and use that in their projects.

Cheers,

Branden

Yagna Sodha April 25, 2019

Hi Branden,

I am facing a similar issue - one of the admin users have changed the name of "In Progress" status and this is affecting quite a large number of workflows / issues.

Is there a way to find out which admin user made this change?

Thanks

Yagna

Muhammad Bilal May 16, 2019

Hi @Yagna Sodha 

Yes you can see the Audit Log on the JIRA SETTINGS---> SYSTEM-----> AUDIT LOG.

To know who made the changes for each and every project on the JIRA.

Do not forget to accept the answer with like if it helps you :)

Thank you.

Muhammad Bilal

Pieter Kuppens November 6, 2019

@somethingblue  "The initial change will need to be reverted first."

But how? (On Jira Cloud)

Just setting "Corrupted State Name" to "In Progress" returns an error that the name already exists.

Like Gabriella Gulyas likes this
Pieter Kuppens November 6, 2019

After some searching, I found the issue with the statuses.

I went to :

{mysite}.atlassian.net/secure/admin/ViewStatuses.jspa

and saw I indeed had a second 'In Progress' state. I had to remove the (inactive) workflows that used that one, and remove the state. Then a rename worked.

However, I also made changes to the transitions (Allow all states to transition to this one) a few times, and need to revert that as well.

Can't the default flow be added to the atlassian market place?

Like # people like this
Octavio Cornú November 3, 2022

Hey I just wanted to thank you because I had the same issue and I couldn't find ANYTHING online to fix it, the only solution I came across was editing every workflow by creating inactive copies, making the changes, and then assigning them to become active, but your answer worked like a charm and I was able to fix 47 workflows!

Thanks again Pieter!

Suggest an answer