Change JIRA user's Type

Qadeer GHouri August 28, 2012

Hi ,

I am new to JIRA. yesterday I have installed it .

Today i am facing a problem is that, I have added 4 users including myself.. all were assigned a 'Administrator' privillage.

I am a administrator and i wan tto role dow nthe others as Normal/Ordinary user.

I have searched through but couldn't get any link which changes the type of User.

Anybody can help?

I'll be really thankful..

Regards,

Ghouri

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 28, 2012

There are no "types" of user really, what matters is what groups a user is in.

Administrators are in the group jira-administrators by default. If you want normal non-admin users, you do NOT add them to that group. If you want to stop someone being an admin, you remove them from the group.

Well.

when I try to remove group in JIRA, it asks at least one group must be selected..

There is no optoin such to create a user Group Free. i am attaching the error masg as screen shot.

kindly consider.

I m using JIRA 4.4.4....

Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 28, 2012

Hi, you can assign them to the jira-users group (should be there by default) and then remove them from the admin group. And or otherwise, simply create a group that can login, add them and yourself to it and remove them from admin.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 28, 2012

Er, why are you removing the group? You just want to remove the users FROM the group.

You need to have at least one group with administration rights, and Jira is stopping you from killing that group (because without it, you can't actually configure or use Jira). You'll find it won't let you remove all the administrators as well, because an inaccessible Jira is a pretty useless system.

There are a set of global permissions which you need to understand properly before you go any further. Have a look in Admin -> Global Permissions. You will find a list of special permissions such as "use Jira" and "administrate Jira".

Please read https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Managing+Groups

On this subject, but not critical here, there is a standard recommendation I make.

Create a group for "can log in to Jira". Put it in the "Jira Users" global permission. Do NOT USE IT IN ANY PERMISSION SCHEMES. Many sites re-use the default "jira users" group for this, which is absolutely fine. Unfortunately, the default settings are immensely stupid and use the group in the default permission schemes, which people then (understandably) copy, reuse and make a mess of it all.

Thanks a lot. I managed to fix it.

Now I can access Administrator panel only if a user has 'Administraor' rights..

Suggest an answer