Change JIRA attachment directory (Windows/JIRA 6.4.3)

Diego Marchetti September 9, 2014

Hi,

I need to change the location to which attachments are to be saved for my JIRA instance from:

C:\Program Files\Atlassian\Application Data\JIRA\data\attachments
to another partition on the same disk volume:
E:\

Please help me how to do this.

Regards

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 9, 2014

The attachments path was fixed in an earlier release of JIRA for security and sanity reasons.  You can't change it easily.

The standard recommendation is to use directory mapping or links to say "when I use my <long path>, actually read/write <somewhere else>" at an Operating System level - JIRA doesn't really care, it looks to the path it has been given, and the OS handles the rest.

This is a doddle in Unix - use a symbolic link, but it's a royal pain in Windows because the underlying file system is, at best, primitive and inflexible.  A windows system administrator should be able to set up a link or mapping (sorry, I can't remember the real name of this process), but it is an advanced function, and if I remember correctly only works on NTFS and better (if you're still on FAT, you've had it)

Diego Marchetti September 9, 2014

Thanks for your response Nic. I was able to get what I needed done using MKLINK to create a symbolic link, which I assume was the process you were referring to.

Binisha September 7, 2015

Hi Diego, Can you please give some example. We are ending up in getting "Access denied" or "Incorrect syntax". Thanks in advance

Suggest an answer