Next:
badges earned

Your Points Tracker
Challenges
Leaderboard
  • Global
  • Feed

Badge for your thoughts?

You're enrolled in our new beta rewards program. Join our group to get the inside scoop and share your feedback.

Join group
Recognition
Give the gift of kudos
You have 0 kudos available to give
Who do you want to recognize?
Why do you want to recognize them?
Kudos
Great job appreciating your peers!
Check back soon to give more kudos.

Past Kudos Given
No kudos given
You haven't given any kudos yet. Share the love above and you'll see it here.

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Change Issue Type to Epic

I have a project which can create issues of type Epic as well as other types Bug, Story and Improvement.

But once the issue is created I cannot edit the issue and change the issue type to Epic.

I can only change the issue type between the others - Bug, Story and Improvement.

Does anyone know why I can only create issues of type Epic and not edit issues to become type Epic ?

Thanks very much.

4 answers

Hi Whip,

this is propably due to the fact, that the Epic has a different workflow configured and / or field configuration for it.

After creating an issue you will only be able to change the issue type to types that are configured for the project and that have the same workflow.

You can still move the issue to become an Epic issue. Open the issue and choose "More actions" and then "Move". You will then have to tell how fields and/or workflow state should be migrated. The issue ID will stay the same.

Cheers, Chris

This was perfect and answered my questions.

You're welcome - plz upvote :-P

Like Sri Srivatsavaya likes this

It might be due to the workflow difference.

Meant Bug/Task/... share one workflow and Epic might have another workflow.

Check if it was the reason.

Yes - that's exactly it.

Thanks.

If the problem isn't related to workflows, then it may be related to the New View in Jira.   I have not found a way to convert to an Epic in the New View, however you can choose "See the old view" from the "..." drop down menu, and then Edit the issue and change the issue type.    That will work until Atlassian removes the ability to use the old view - at which point hopefully someone will come up with a different solution that doesn't require us to buy an addon!  

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you