Change Issue Type to Epic

I have a project which can create issues of type Epic as well as other types Bug, Story and Improvement.

But once the issue is created I cannot edit the issue and change the issue type to Epic.

I can only change the issue type between the others - Bug, Story and Improvement.

Does anyone know why I can only create issues of type Epic and not edit issues to become type Epic ?

Thanks very much.

3 answers

Hi Whip,

this is propably due to the fact, that the Epic has a different workflow configured and / or field configuration for it.

After creating an issue you will only be able to change the issue type to types that are configured for the project and that have the same workflow.

You can still move the issue to become an Epic issue. Open the issue and choose "More actions" and then "Move". You will then have to tell how fields and/or workflow state should be migrated. The issue ID will stay the same.

Cheers, Chris

This was perfect and answered my questions.

It might be due to the workflow difference.

Meant Bug/Task/... share one workflow and Epic might have another workflow.

Check if it was the reason.

Yes - that's exactly it.

Thanks.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Wednesday in Jira

Join our webinar: How 1B+ feature flag events helped us build the new Jira

Every time you release software, there's a bit of risk – that there's a bug, that something breaks, or that the feature doesn't resonate with customers. Feature flagging helps make high stakes s...

93 views 0 1
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you