Change Default Assignee

Danielt November 13, 2016

Hello,

I've come across a request by my staff to change the Automatic assignee field,

The case being: Whenever in any of projects you want to assign someone to an issue, the Assignee field shows as Automatic, I need it to show Unassigned by default.

I've run some research and before you answer, I each project set at the Default Assignee field to - Unassigned.

I have Allow Unassigned Issues - turned ON,

Yet each time I create an issue it still shows as "Automatic Assign"

JIRA Software version: 7.1.2.

Any help is appreciated,

Thanks!

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 13, 2016

Hi Daniel,

Since you've set the default assignee for each project to 'Unassigned', then creating an issue with assignee = 'Automatic' will do that.

i.e. If your staff leave assignee as "Automatic" when creating, the issue (once created) will have assignee = 'Unassigned'.

I suspect you might know that already though...

So my question is: why don't your staff want the the assignee field to show "Automatic"?

Is it because the word "Automatic" is not clear enough? i.e. when they see "Automatic", how do they know this actually means 'Unassigned'?

If it's something like that, one option could be to edit your field configuration to add a description to the assingee field...

assignee-description-setting-in-field-config.jpg

...so that a clearer explanation is shown on the issue create screen:

assignee-description-on-create.jpg

I hope this helps a little.

Sam

0 votes
Danielt November 13, 2016

Thanks Sam! 

My staff are quite the doubtful flock so having your answer as a pro's really helps clear things up.

Also I've added a description as you had advised.

Again, thank you kindly!

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 13, 2016

The setting you've changed changes the rules for how it decides who the automatic assign goes to.

You can't actually change the default value of the assignee field without coding.

Suggest an answer