Certain Issues not indexing properly

Jordan Hauser December 6, 2021

Hi all,

After a server move a week and a half ago, certain errors occurred and broke a couple issues that had approvals from the Herzum Approval plugin. These issues were set up to automatically transition once the approvals were met. 

Initially I tried manually transitioning the issues to a new status, which failed, and broke several issues. This is what I'm concerned about.

Afterwards I found out that the automatic approval transition could be triggered as a listener would by editing the issue/adding a comment.

Even after that I found out on the broken issues that the 'Smart Attachments' plugin also would not function with these issues and only allowed attachments to be put into the inline comments category (the catchall normal category)
--------------------

So those broken issues:

I can't clone them
I can't delete them
When users/I try to edit the issue it gives a 'communications breakdown error' but when refreshing the page it actually updates

The problem did not fix after restarting the servers

The problem did not fix after doing a full re-index
When searching the issues after they were transitioned they appear in the wrong status (ie. project = test and status = to do will return an issue with a status of 'done')
The issues show up in the wrong status column on the relevant kanban and only allow transitions to the initial status

--------------------
Jira server 8.3.3

Please help, while there's only 6 issues this is affecting, they are rather important

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Clark Everson
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 6, 2021

Hi Jordan,

We sometimes have this issue just natively. What I normally do to fix the issue is copy the workflow, apply the copy to the project, then re-apply the original workflow to the project and it forces a reindex and fixes all the above things you mentioned.

I normally do it the way I outlined as to not mess with the original workflow but if only one project uses it, you could also keep the copy and delete the original.

Best,

Clark

Jordan Hauser December 7, 2021

Thank you for the response Clark,

I tried something similar to that at first as well, just tried that again and saw no change* to the problem issues. I'm confused as to why the integrity checker doesn't pick these errors up, with the status being mismatched on the issue and in the background should the workflow integrity 'Check workflow entry states' and 'Check workflow current step entries' be triggered?

*They are still showing up as the incorrect status after switching the workflow again

-Jordan

Jordan Hauser December 7, 2021

Adding in my findings since I just managed to fix this:

Editing watchers triggered some listener to update the issue to the proper status, which fixed how it was being searched and how the kanban board was displaying it.

I only figured it out since another issue broke and I went to remove a watcher so I didn't spam them with notifications, then noticed it wasn't appearing in the 'Open Issues' anymore

Thanks again for the response Clark

-Jordan

Like Simon Tost _TNG_ likes this

Suggest an answer