Celix Zones plugin - Multi-tenancy - Unable to add a user to a zone

Nikora Terrill April 8, 2014

I'm currently trialling Celix Zones to see if it fills a need that we have. We currently have JIRA set up as a support system, with project permissions such that 'users' can only see the tickets they have logged.

I have a need to extend this so users can see tickets they have logged, and also those that someone from the same company as them have logged.

So I believe the addition of Zones will fill this need, particularly the 'Multitenancy' use-case.

However, having followed the config for multi-tenancy, I am unable to add a user to a zone. The user auto-fills and is found properly, however when I click the 'Update' button, the field appears to refresh for a split-second, and nothing is changed.

I have had a look in the logs, but can see nothing obvious. Is there something I should be looking for?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Florian Hassanen April 8, 2014

Hi Ryan,

> the field appears to refresh for a split-second, and nothing is changed.
I suspect, no error is shown as well?

The only reason, why you should not be able to add users to zones, is when JIRA has no permission to alter the underlying users and groups (e.g. when you use a read-only user directory in JIRA). But still, in this case an error should be raised.

On the Zones membership screen, you may temporarily switch into the "group mapping mode" to check whether any groups are assigned to the zone (i.e. the group fields are non empty). If no groups are assigned to the zone, (switch back into "user mapping mode" and) try deleting and recreating the zone.

Another thing to check is the plugin compatibility: please verify, your zones version is compatible to your JIRA version: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/at.celix.jira.plugins.zones/versions

If all of this does not help, I would be great if you could raise a support issue here: https://celixaddons.atlassian.net/browse/ZON

Nikora Terrill April 8, 2014

Thanks so much for getting back to me Florian.

Looks like no groups were assigned, and deleting and re-creating didn't help. (I note that the groups were created in 'Groups' however).

Plugin is the correct version as well.

Thanks for the pointer too, I see on your documentation that I should have logged this elsewhere, so I'll attempt to log it at the link provided, so you should see if come through shortly.

Thanks again

Nikora Terrill April 9, 2014

Ack! Through your guidance I found the issue.

A closer look at the logs found reference to a User directory Active Directory sync that was no longer required (or valid). So I deleted the sync, attempted to create the Zone again and had success.

Thanks for your help! Next time I'll log it in the correct place!

Cheers

R

Suggest an answer