Categorize Projects

App Admin August 27, 2013

First off I'd like to say that the groups, roles, permissions that jira offers is pretty much one of the worst implementations I have seen. Simple things like assigning a group to a role, then giving the role the ability to create projects is missed. Instead you have to create a permission schema to associate to a project?

Anyway, what magic incantation do I need to envoke to link a project to a category? Not seeing any options from either the project or project category pages.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 27, 2013

Simple things like assigning a group to a role, then giving the role the ability to create projects is missed

That is done purposefully. Well, there is role but that is not a project role. Instead it is called administrators. Administrators can do a bunch of things including creations of projects.You can define which groups can do this.

Anyway, what magic incantation do I need to envoke to link a project to a category?

Go to project administration screen and click on Category on the top along with Key, Lead and URL.

App Admin August 27, 2013

My issue is that if I create a project management group, and assign specific permissions to handle higher level activities (create project, browse project, etc), I don't want to add them to an administrator group where they could get permissions that globally affect the jira experience.

Your solution resolved my issue, found the link towards the top. Bit of advice, add a link to the left hand side as well, as I'm sure 99% of the users will look there first.

Suggest an answer