Cascading Field - Add Hover Over Text on Parent/Child Values?

Ricky Lin December 4, 2017

Scenario:

I have a cascading field is to store about 50-60 child values consisted of acronyms.  I would like it so that when you hover over each option, a short description shows up and tell you what the option is.

Setup:

1. Cascading CF Name: Cascading Field
  2. Cascading CF ID: 10300
  3. Cascading CF Parent Value ID: 10300
  4. Cascading CF Child Value IDs:  10302, 10303, 10304

What I've tried:

Using Browser Development Tools, I've been able to get the look in IE/Firefox with the following code:

<select class="select cascadingselect-child" id="customfield_10300:1" name="customfield_10300:1">
<option class="option-group-10300" value="">None</option>
<option class="option-group-10300" value="10302" title="KOMM Short Description">KOMM</option>
<option class="option-group-10300" value="10303">FEDREC</option>
<option class="option-group-10300" value="10304">PMP</option>
</select>

CascadingField.png

However, the expected changes do not take place when I put that code into the Description of the Cascading CF.  How can I get JIRA to recognize the simple code online?  Has anyone had any experience with this or have a better approach to accomplish this?  I'd really appreciate any feedback... Thank you

1 answer

0 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 4, 2017

Hello,

Do you mean that you put javascript into the description of the field? Your jira version is not Cloud?

Hi there.  Yes - i put the code into the description of the cascading field (although I don't think its javascript, but just HTML).  However, I may not have it properly formatted for JIRA to pick up the titles.

My JIRA version is 7.4.2 Server.

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 4, 2017

It should work. Put there a simple javascript which will return alert to you and check.

<script> alert( 'Hello, world!' ); </script>

Hi Alexey.  Thanks for the response.  I put that simple JS script into description and it did return me an alert.  However, what I don't know is the right code to get JIRA to interact with it (I'm very new to scripting).

How do you suggest I modify the existing code to make JIRA recognize what I'm trying to accomplish?

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 4, 2017

Use Jquery to do what you want to do. But I would not advise you to do it. Too much hassle and possible problems.

Hi Alexey.  First of all, thank you for taking the time to respond to me (i know it's an uncommon use case).

However, i cannot mark your any of your answers as the solution as none of them really provides much insight to what I want to accomplish.  Hoping for a simple HTML solution (unless there isn't one).

Appreciate it anyhow.

Suggest an answer