Cascade selector

Alejandro Agapito May 16, 2013

Hi i want to do statistics with a cascade selector, i have installed the JIRA Misc Workflow Extensions, i know how can i copy a value to another field, but i don't know what kind of new field can help me to do statistics can you help me please ?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 17, 2013

Hi Alejandro,

When I did this, I had a cascading select custom field called "Root Cause"; I created a select list custom field and called it "Root Cause Result". I added parent and child options to Root Cause, then I added the same child options to Root Cause Result. You would need to ensure that the select list field options are only the same as child options. For example:

Cascading select custom field parent options are A, B, and C. Options under A are 1, 2, and 3; options under B are 4, 5, and 6; options under C are 7, 8, 9. In select list custom field, options are 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9. Say the user selects A and then 1 as the value for the field. On the post function, you copy the value of cascading select custom field to select list custom field. It would select the value of "1".

Does this make sense? You could also try copying it to a text field, I haven't tried that yet. :)

Alejandro Agapito May 17, 2013

do you know other way to do it?

Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 17, 2013

I know that at least with cascading select to select list, the "Copy Value" post function will only copy between the fields if you make the options in the select list field the same as the child options of the cascading select field. You might want to try and see if copying the value to an empty text field will show both casdading select values, I haven't tried it myself.

Alejandro Agapito May 17, 2013

it was very usefull, in my case the parent options are modules and the child options are submodules of each module, i want to store in the custom field the module from the issue in order to know which modules have the major part of the problems, so do i have to put in the custom field the options of the parent selector?

Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 17, 2013

Another way to copy the value from one field to the other? Besides manually, there's probably a way to do it with a script, but I'm not a coder unfortunately. Maybe someone else will post a answer on how to do it that way?

Only other thing I can think of is if you added the name of your parent module options as a prefix to all the options of your children modules; so you would have:

Parent Options A, B, C

Child Options for A: A-1, A-2, A-3

Child Options for B: B-4, B-5, B-6

Child Options for C: C-7, C-8, C-9

Depending on the number of parent and child options you have, however, this could mean a lot of manual effort to keep both custom fields up to date with corresponding options. And it would mean the value displayed of your cascading select field would like slightly redundant in the issue, with values like "A A-1".

Suggest an answer