Card age indicators have changed

Merv December 29, 2016

Card age indicators have changed, what do red and yellow dots mean?

2 answers

1 vote
Randy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 29, 2016

I think it's just a different representation of age.  instead of grey dots that grow, the dots change color as the ticket becomes more stale in the column.

Although they dont call out the age indicators, the new layout does seem to be a work in progress as mentioned on their blog:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/blog/2016/12/new-design-of-jira-software-issue-cards#

0 votes
Merv December 29, 2016

Thanks for the response.  I've only seen 2 colors, Red and Yellow, so if I had to guess Red would be older than yellow.  But that's only a part of the issue.  There are also 4 dots now instead of 32.  And some of my cards have 3 dots with the right one being yellow and the other 2 gray.  Other cards might have 4 dots with 1-4 or them being Red.  Visually it looks better than the 32 dots, which was way to granular, but I really have no idea what the number of the dots mean, if the color is the age.  An updated help file would be a big help. the current online help still talks about 32 dots, which is clearly outdated.

Further, the Help file now shows pics of the Story Points of estimates where I have dots, but says that is for both Scrum and Kanban boards.  I'd love to see the Story Points on my Kanban board like the scrum folks can see, but I think the Help file is incorrect there as well. at least what is available to me.

Randy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 29, 2016

If you hover your mouse over the dots, you'll see the time in status for the issue.

The dots dont mean anything other than the total time in the current status.

Looking at my board i see:

1 dark gray dot = 2 days

1 yellow dot = 3 days

1 red dot = 7 days

2 red dots = 9 days

As far as estimates if you're using kanban, you'll want to be tracking performance via lead times (control chart) and flow (cumilative flow diagram) anyways.

#noestimates, #littleslaw

Merv December 29, 2016

Thanks, hadn't notice the age when hovered on cards.  That relays the message of roughly how old the card is at a quick glance.  I'm a single, independent developer, I really don't like messing with time or time estimates, as I don't have to communicate with anyone on JIRA issues.  I like using the story points as a quick estimate of how much work an Issue will take, nothing more.  Everyone work's differently, and other people want to see the story points on the gray oval like Scrum as well, some one else filed the case a long time ago.

Suggest an answer