Capturing full email headers

Daniel Ehrlich March 31, 2014

Is there a way to configure the JIRA incoming mail handler to capture all of the headers and put them into a multi-line text field?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 1, 2014

Well, yes as per title, no as per description. JEMH exposes the email message object and can render a Comment Header as part of the description and every comment that comes in by email after that.

Thing is, you say 'all headers', that can be a lot of stuff, the assumption is that you actually want specific headers like the usual addressee data?

Mapping incoming headers to custom fields on create sounds like something JEMH could do in the future without too much effort, its not been a case asked for previously. How did you envisage that working, just a great blob of text or stored one field per-header?

Daniel Ehrlich April 1, 2014

Well, the furture is nice, but my need for this capability is more immediate. Thanks for the pointer to JEMH.

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 1, 2014

Can you answer the question, what do you actually want to do, capture all or route specific headers? Future for me probably means something different to your view ;)

https://thepluginpeople.atlassian.net/browse/JEMH-2313

My time horizon is measured in days. So immediate is much closer to right now.

What is needed is the ability to capture ALL of the email headers and put them in a singe multi-line custom field.

So, I want all of the received-from headers, all of the X-* headers, everything that is a header.

Rising Star
Rising Star
April 1, 2014

That is immediate not future! Well, either you have to write a mail handler from scratch to do that, in days, or be a little more patient! Implementing generic features like that in JEMH is something I do all the time, but I have priorities too.

What JIRA version are you currently on?

I think we are running v6.1.x at the moment. We do have an external email processor that does some of what we need, but it is written by someone else in PHP.

And it is a bi of a bear to configure. Might have to bite the bullet and do it anyway.

Rising Star
Rising Star
April 1, 2014

K, its something I'll probably add to JEMH soon in any case, just because ;)

Daniel Ehrlich April 2, 2014

If you are going to be adding things, another `nice to have' would be the ability to capture any arbitrary header and put it into a custom field.

0 votes
Hangsu Ma
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 22, 2015

EMH is another option, you can select headers you want to display from a multi select dropdown and the headers will be added in JIRA description and comments.

Suggest an answer