Capacity Planning

JAY KAPADIA March 18, 2013

Assuming that I am getting all the issues filled with original estimate, time spent and story points what are the best practices for capacity planning in JIRA and Greenhooper

4 answers

0 votes
Dushyant Pandya October 6, 2013

We are also looking for the same. Rally lets you add capacity. Couldn't figure out an equivalent way of doing the same in JIRA Agile. This is a deal breaker for us.

0 votes
George Dawoud July 31, 2013

Any one found an answer for capacity planning... Rally lets you put the cappacity and let you know if you are at or near or over for each person...

0 votes
Paul Alexander
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 4, 2013

Yes, yes! Great question. I have been trying to give tools to my Leads to enable them to determine how loaded each resource is at sprint planning. We take on enough parent issues to satisfy our current velocity (# of points). However, we also create subtasks for each parent issue (say, Story)...during the exercise with the team, it is hard to determine how many hours Joe, Bill, Frank, and Sally have. Our approach is all manual labor to go through and add up the number of hours (time remaining) each individual has. Our goal is to stack up each resource to 40-60h of work each two-week sprint (depends on how much production support load - some resources manage production helpdesk fixes, while others are able to push out 60 good hours of new work each sprint.

In summary, how do you (the community) quickly determine how many hours each individual has? And are there other approaches to this problem as Jay suggests:-)?

Suggest an answer