Cannot update custom field description despite several attempts

James Parkin March 19, 2017

Hi,

I'm trying to update a custom field description within Jira.  But despite doing it several times, and reindexing a load of times too, the description, within the screen it is on, still shows the old description.

Its been updated in field configuration too, but the old description remains.

The way I see it I have 2 options;

1) Delete and recreate it (would I lose all the old data logged under this field, or would renaming it exactly the same then attach the data to the new field)

2) Find out from here what I am doing wrong, and fix it properly.

Thanks in advance for you help

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Niclas Sandstroem
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 20, 2017

Hey James,

The only way I can think this is happening is that you overwrite the description with a field configuration in the project your reviewing the screen.

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/47433

Br, Niclas

0 votes
James Parkin March 20, 2017

You sent me down the right path.  The default field configuration for the project was looking at a differently named, but identically configured field configuration.  As soon as I changed that, it worked

Niclas Sandstroem
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 20, 2017

Cheers

James Parkin March 20, 2017

Thanks very much

Niclas Sandstroem
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 20, 2017

Your welcome its always good to have other to bounce your ideas with. Have a good day!

Suggest an answer