Cannot share filters at all

Andrew DeFaria February 10, 2015

Can't share filters because there are no controls to share them!Capture.PNG

There's nothing to the right of Shares and Add Shares. This is a dev instance of JIRA. Our production instance, configured similarly, works fine:

Capture2.PNG

What's going on?

7 answers

28 votes
Fenix Voltres June 7, 2018

Guys, I had the same issue and found the solution - AdBlock! Its share-blocking functionality seems to be a bit too agressive. Turn it off for the Jira site and all should be OK! :)

Marina Furman June 8, 2018

It helped, thank you!

Alex Filler June 8, 2018

This worked, thank you!

Deleted user July 19, 2018

This worked for me as well! thank you!

sys team July 26, 2018

turning off adblock helped here too

Christian Kdolsky August 29, 2018

Thank you, helped me too

Jakub Polomsky September 21, 2018

That is crazy. Dunno why it is not documented directly in Jira. Thank you! You saved my life!!!

Szabolcs Buslig October 19, 2018

This is veeery odd, but it helped me a lot. Thanks!

Like ebasra-kitu likes this
Tim LaMarca November 30, 2018

Thank you!

Juan Recabarren [ServiceRocket]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 3, 2018

Wow! I was going nuts trying to debug my Jira permissions and settings, and it was just my ad-blocker, thanks for this tip!

Atlassian needs to add this to their docs!

ebasra-kitu December 6, 2018

Omg life saver thank you!

Chana Linder January 7, 2019

Thanks, it also helped me !

Bhargav Garimella February 7, 2019

Thanks a lot for this. 

Yitzchok Glancz February 25, 2019

Thanks.

Adam Sterrie March 1, 2019

This worked for us as well.
Another "undocumented feature" of Jira.
Thanks Fenix!

Ivan Kulchytskyi December 19, 2019

Thank you!

4 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 10, 2015

I would say you are lacking the global permission to create shared objects.  Check admin -> global permissions

Andrew DeFaria February 10, 2015

Considering I was running as admin at the time, I think not. Besides this worked before. I'm not sure what you want me to check under global permissions but I see that Create Shared Objects is granted to jira-users and Manage Group Filter Subscriptions to jira-developers of which I am a member of both. Regardless however, is there ever a time where you should show headings such as Shares and Add Shares in the attached images and NOT display anything to the right of them?!?

1 vote
Kristof Devarrewaere November 30, 2017

I have the same problem - as of today nobody can share their filters!

See aslo : JSWCLOUD-16425

Xavier Pinyol November 30, 2017

Seems to work only when you select "My" Filters from "Manage filters" section. You get an option to edit the filter here. 

But if you search for a filter and gets listed there though you are the owner, you dont have an option to edit.

(Solution gotten from this ticket https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-38509)

davesoft11 May 7, 2019

Xavier, this doesn't help us. If we go to:

My Filters -> [choose a filter] -> Gear -> Edit

then the only things we can edit are Name, Description, and the Favorite star. Nothing about sharing. 

Our admin can perform sharing by running the filter, clicking "Details" next to the "Save As". But for us, that panel only shows "Owned by...", "Permissions: This filter is only visible to you", and "Subscriptions: This filter has no subscriptions."

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 7, 2019

My best guess is that you do not have the global permission for "create shared objects" - check with your admins who does.

Like Dave Kitabjian likes this
Dave Kitabjian December 19, 2019

Thanks.

I think when I wasn't looking they must have enabled that option. Now, under the same screen I mentioned above, I see "Add Shares" and can select a Group, a Project, etc, with which to share my Filter.

1 vote
Alex Devanna November 24, 2017

Hi,

I have the exact same issue, was not an issue until today, previously i've shared filters with no issues? 

I can however edit dashboard shares.

Seems to work only when you select "My" Filters from "Manage filters" section. You get an option to edit the filter here. 

But if you search for a filter and gets listed there though you are the owner, you dont have an option to edit.

(Solution gotten from this ticket https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-38509)

1 vote
Majken Connor October 28, 2016

This is a bug. I found this question as I was trying to find out if it's filed.

You can't add jira-administrators to the "create shared objects" permission because jira-users permissions are implied with jira-administrators. However you have to be in jira-users group to actually create shared objects, it isn't inherited.

Edit: here is the bug https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-38509

Thanks! Finally, I found it. I got crazy trying to find subscribe and edit actions.

1 vote
Steffen Stamprath
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 28, 2015

I see the plugin Share Your JIRA also be very helpful!

1 vote
Sebastian Schöne July 28, 2015

Hi Andrew,

I have a similar usage of sharing issues and specifally filter lists - to keep customers (non users of JIRA system) up to date. Maybe this free plugin would be a nice solution or at least a workaround for your request?

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/aptis.plugins.shareYourJira

You will be able to grant a 1:1 view of your filter list. This plugin create a unqiue link you can send to any person. Also you can control the share by delete the link or edit the displayed columns afterwards smile

Let me know if this is something for you.

Suggest an answer