Cannot set My Home JIRA to the Issue navigator

Hunter April 19, 2018

I'm running the server version of Jira. At first I tried to set the issue navigator as new home on the profile button in the upper right corner. When I open the menu and click issue navigator nothing happens. The dot is set to the issue navigator but the menu is not closed. After waiting some time I logged out and closed the browser. When I log in again the dashboard is still set as home and the dot in the profile menu is as well set to the dashboard. I tried this a few times, nothing changes. Then I went to my profile and clicked "Clear All Tokens", logged out and closed the browser. After I logged in again the Dot in the profile menu was set to the Issue navigator. However, the dashboard is still the home page. Only if I log out and click the "Log in again" link on the "Logged out" page  the issue navigator is opened immediately.

How can I set the issue navigator home page permanently?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Hunter April 19, 2018

We found the reason. Our server instance had very little memory available, because we did not expect the huge hunger for memory from JIRA. This apparently led to significant problems that were unfortunately not correctly named by JIRA. Instead, the client interface in many places simply showed a strange behavior, more reminiscent of an early alpha-stage version. A better error management would be desirable here.

0 votes
Payne
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 19, 2018

Note that you must click the desired option twice - once to select it, and then again to save your selection.

-Payne

Hunter April 19, 2018

Thanks Payne for the hint. I didn't know that. That's a strange behavior in my opinion. Nobody would expect this from a menu item.

Like April likes this
Sean M October 4, 2018

I agree. I just discovered this as well. This behaviour is completely non-obvious and unlike any menu interface I have seen before. I don't think there are even any other menus in Jira that work like this. It erodes user confidence when you have to explain this stuff to them and, when they ask why, all you can say is 'in this one specific case, Jira just works like that.' It leaves users wondering what other 'one specific cases' exist in the system.

Worse still, this behaviour doesn't even line up with the documentation for my version

1. Click on your profile icon at the top right of the screen.
  2. Select the appropriate home page option within the My Jira Home section:
    • Dashboard
    • Issue Navigator
    • Rapid Board (available if you're using Jira Software)
    Your page will be reloaded the Jira home page you selected. <- <- uh, no it won't!
  3. (Optional) To verify that your Jira home page has been reset, log out and log back in to Jira again. You should be taken directly to the Jira home page you selected in the previous step. <- <- if you follow the steps as described, you will NOT be taken to the home page selected in the previous step

I'm going to check if this is fixed in 7.12 and if not, report it as a bug.

April May 24, 2019

Exactly.... I put up with this for months after an upgrade changed my existing selection, because it never dawned on me to double-click the menu item.

There is an open bug for this at JRASERVER-62549.

Like Sean M likes this

Suggest an answer