Cannot send password reset email

Kate Yoak June 27, 2015

I am testing password reset feature and find that no email is being sent. JIRA says, it has sent an email, but it does not. 

Test emails do go out from JIRA correctly via configured server. Only password reset is the problem.

Nothing shows in the log.

This is a new JIRA setup. What am I doing wrong?

14 answers

2 votes
Andriy Ivanovskiy February 4, 2019

I have same problem, but only when reset password with email.
For example I have user:
Username: adam
Email: ai@example.com
1. If for reset password used username adam, email received correct to ai@example.com.
2. If for reset password used email ai@example.com, email didn't receive to ai@example.com.
For both I saw "Reset password link sent successfully".
I enabled all debug and profiling, but all logs clean.

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 28, 2015

If the test email send is going out ok, then it's likely your question is slightly wrong - it should be "we don't receive a password email", not "JIRA does not send".  

But if you're sure it's JIRA not sending, try https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Logging+email+protocol+details to see what it thinks it is doing.  I expect you'll see it sending.

Check the recipient mail address is correct, check that the email isn't filtered into another folder, and look at the logs on your mail server.

Kate Yoak June 28, 2015

Thank you for the diagnostic tip. In fact, JIRA is not even trying to send an email.

When I go to send a test email, I have debug information in the log.

When I go to reset username/password, it says it generated an email, but the log is totally empty. I have now also verified that a welcome email is not getting sent to a new user. Basically, the test email is the only thing that goes.

The Outgoing Mail setting is definitely enabled... Thank you!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 28, 2015

Very interesting, and not what I expected. Did you check both logs? Catalina.out and Atlassian-jira.log ? (That's a bit of a long shot, if you've found the test email sends, I'd expect the password/welcome debug info to go to the same log. But worth a check) One other thought before I reach for Atlassian support - could you check that the user who is attempting the password reset is enabled and has access to log in? (Ok, locked out and/or with a dead password is fine, but would they be able to use JIRA if they were enabled and had a working password?) Similarly for the welcome message, do new users automatically get put in the login group?

Turlach MacDonagh August 5, 2016

Did you ever figure out the resolution on this? I'm seeing the exact same thing. Emails are being created, sent and received for tickets, etc. Just not for new users and password resets.

Karen Rogalski August 11, 2016

Same here, no emails sent for new users and password resets. All other JIRA emails via Notification Scheme are sent.

There are no errors in the log.

Our Network Email Team confirmed that these emails did not get flagged as Spam. 

Its never sent.

kari salo September 11, 2016

I dont get this at all. I am a new possible user of Jira. Just installed it on my windows laptop and I have a lot of problems with getting the system work. Tried to reset password and even the system tells that the reset email has been sent out, nothing is coming through. Just wonder. What agile method has been used to develop this system? It should support agile teams to make their work easier, but how in hell you cant get the system set up properly. It should be easy to do out-of-the-box right?

Anna Justesen January 26, 2017

I have the same problem.

andreas sengfried January 26, 2017

we have the same problem, no password mail on our Enviroment 

Karen Rogalski January 27, 2017

Same issue on Server 500 user JIRA instance. Password reset does not work but all other emails do work. We're on version 6.3.x.

1 vote
Thomas Fleischer November 23, 2018

There is an issue at Atlassian. Please vote and comment.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDSERVER-3401

1 vote
Karen Rogalski November 9, 2018

I agree all that should be checked out but there was a Jira bug. All that was checked out on my instance and I worked with Atlassian Support and we finally concluded there was an issue somewhere. Once we upgraded to 7.2.7, it went away. 

Its probably come back.

Matt Shepherd November 9, 2018

Very good to know. Thanks.

0 votes
Daniel Carrasco March 8, 2021

Same here.... I've receiving almost all the emails sent by the platform, but just the recovery email doesn't appear as sent.

0 votes
Warren Kent April 8, 2020

same problem here. nothing stuck in error queues, but new users not receiving their mails and reset password also not working for users.

0 votes
sbitar July 1, 2019

We are using jira server version 8.0 and we are facing this issue as well. What is the solution ? 

JONATHAN BOHLMANN August 29, 2019

+1...been this way for several months for us as well. Emails for all BUT reset PW go out w/o issues.

0 votes
Matt Shepherd November 9, 2018

@all based on personal experience here are the three most likely causes for this behavior.

1. The user does not have an email address configured for their user account.
  2. The user has an email address configured, but the server cannot send to it. This might occur when you have different internal and external naming (matt@int.example.com v. matt@example.com) and the email server you have configured cannot relay mail to one of them. 
  3. If you are connecting to the mail server on a secure port, there is a problem with the cert (expired, wrong name, etc).

Every email sending issue I've encountered has always been traceable back to one of those 3 causes.

Slavik Meltser November 9, 2018

This is true when there are no emails has been sent at all from JIRA. But, this case is different, as we do receive ALL emails except of the password reset one.

And for all 3 possibilities you have mantioned above, the answer for me is NO.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Slavik Meltser November 8, 2018

I am on v7.12.3 and have the same problem.

0 votes
Karen Rogalski August 9, 2018

This issue resolved once we moved to 7.2.7 Server version.

0 votes
Suman Kumar May 15, 2018

I am also facing this issue. Any resolution on this?

Urszula Forenc May 15, 2018

HI, we have found, that some users get it in spam folder. But the rest of users - we have no idea what is going on..

Suman Kumar May 15, 2018

i have checked Spam. It is not there. For the last 15 days i am struggling this.

0 votes
Urszula Forenc April 16, 2018

We also have this problem. Any resolutions?

0 votes
S April 13, 2017

Hi we had a similar problem. 

As we had atlassian crowd, it seems there was a link between jira and crowd which didn't work correctly. When we asked our useres to use the crowd reset link (instead of the forgotten password in Jira), it worked.

So the resetpw url is:

https://crowd.YOURCOMPANYNAME.com/crowd/console/forgottenlogindetails!default.action

Don't ask me for the reason.

If you are not using crowd, the problem lies probably elswhere

0 votes
Matt Shepherd February 13, 2017

did you ever resolve this? if so how? we are seeing the same exact issue. test email sends fine- reset password email does not even register anywhere in a log.

Suggest an answer