Cannot send email from JIRA - missing class

Krystian Szczesny December 17, 2011

Hi,

I've upgraded JIRA from 4.2.2 to 4.4.4 and now I cannot send email messages.

I've copied JNDI configuration from old serer.xml to the new one. I've checked for mail and activation jars in WEB-INF/libs of the new installation but it still doesn't work.

What I'm getting when trying to send test email is:

HTTP Status 404 - Could not execute action [SendTestMail]:javax/mail/Authenticator<p><small><small><pre>java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/mail/Authenticator at org.apache.naming.factory.MailSessionFactory.getObjectInstance(MailSessionFactory.java:105) at org.apache.naming.factory.ResourceFactory.getObjectInstance(ResourceFactory.java:140) at

Any ideas?

EDIT:

furbo:/srv/jira-install/jira-4.4.4 # find . -name "*mail*.jar"
./atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/lib/mail-1.4.4.jar
./atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/lib/atlassian-mail-1.25.jar
./atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/lib/commons-jelly-tags-email-1.0.jar
furbo:/srv/jira-install/jira-4.4.4 # find . -name "*activ*.jar"
./atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/lib/activeobjects-spi-0.17.2.6.jar
./atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/lib/activation-1.1.1.jar

6 answers

0 votes
Krystian Szczesny December 19, 2011

Yeah, thanks a lot. I bet it wil be something small and easy to miss, so any hints like that are appreciated!

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 18, 2011

Ah, good - it was duplicate jars breaking my mail last time I broke it, so I thought it was worth ruling out.

0 votes
Krystian Szczesny December 18, 2011

Nah, I've created new dir [Jira-4.4.4] under my JIRA_INSTALL directory and installation files are there. So nothing was overwritten. I've moved old files completely away so there's no chance they interfere. I've updated the question with some find calls.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 18, 2011

When you "upgraded", did you install a completely new, clean Jira, or did you overwrite the existing one?

Also, what does the log say as Jira starts up? Specifically, anything about duplicate .jars, classpaths, etc?

0 votes
Krystian Szczesny December 18, 2011

not really simply because the only plugin I've used [apart from greenhopper] is not compatible with Jira 4.4 :/

0 votes
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 18, 2011

Mm, if you're you're using JIRAs in build send a test mail, Id suspect a bug. Mind you, Ive just installed 4.4.4 and able able to send mail to gmail. Could a third part plugin be at fault?

Suggest an answer