Cannot remove users in a group in the Bulk edit group members

Swarna Radha October 12, 2017

Hi,

I have added users in a group but when I tried to remove one user, i am not able to do so.  In the group, there are 3 members. Please find screenshots

JIRA Version used: 7.5

Thanks and regards

Swarnaimage.pngimage.png

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 16, 2017

If these users exist in the Jira internal directory, you should be able to control their membership to that group.  However it could be that your Jira instance is syncing groups over from a Crowd instance or from a connected LDAP/AD instance.  In those cases you can't actually change group memberships for those groups within Jira directly.  Instead you would need to manage those directly in LDAP or Crowd depending on the source.

One way to lookup and see if this is the case, would be to run the following SQL queries against the Jira database:

select child_name, directory_id from cwd_membership where parent_name='test';

This first query will tell you the usernames and directory_id for each user in that group.  I would expect this to have exactly 3 results based on your screenshots.  I am also suspecting that the directory_id does not match up to the Jira internal directory.

select * from cwd_directory;

This second query tells you all the user directories Jira has.  Every Jira has at least the Jira internal user directory, but you could have several other user directories that might controlling both this group and the memberships of that group.

Suggest an answer