Cannot publish inactive workflow

Danny Bean June 21, 2016

The previous JIRA admin recently accepted a new position with another company, so those responsibilities have been handed off to me.  

I am trying to publish a workflow copy that because I needed to add a transition from a final step in order to reopen issues.  

Because of the known problem within JIRA, I cannot simply add that transition because I receive the "You are editing a draft workflow. The step 'Closed' has no outgoing transitions in the Active workflow, so you cannot add any outgoing transitions in the Draft workflow." message when trying to publish the draft workflow.

image2016-6-21 8:39:27.png image2016-6-21 8:39:11.png

So, I made a copy of the workflow and added the necessary transition.  I also associated the workflow with a workflow scheme. 

image2016-6-21 8:40:10.png

Now I cannot associate the new workflow with the project by clicking the "Switch Scheme" button from the project workflow page.  It does not show up in the list of available options. I suspect because the workflow is inactive.  

However, I also cannot publish the workflow because there is no option at the top of the page to publish or discard changes like the active workflows.

image2016-6-21 8:44:37.png  image2016-6-21 8:42:22.png

I have looked everywhere in the available documentation and the forums, but have been unable to find the solution to my problems.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

4 answers

0 votes
Allen March 3, 2021

Same problem here. Still no answer.

0 votes
Rajesh Krishnamurthy August 13, 2020

Same problem. Workflow is inactive. No button to publish. 

0 votes
Marcin Krasicki November 26, 2019

I just came across the same issue and looking for an answer. Its browser independent.

0 votes
Danny Bean June 29, 2016

Can someone please assist?  Thanks!

Douglas Gaskell October 3, 2018

Also having this issue..... pretty disappointing there has been no response in 2 years....

Like Nadzirah Husna likes this

Suggest an answer