Cannot install Capture in Internet Explorer 10

Juan Banda November 25, 2013

I've dowloaded the installer for JIRA Capture but when it runs says "File in use: Please close Internet Explorer to continue with the installation". Of course IE10 is closed and I've also tried rebooting my system with no luck.

Is this a common issue? Any workaround?

Thanks,

Juan

8 answers

1 vote
HenriqueA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 26, 2013

Hi Juan,

Unfortunately I've found the same error that you mentioned in another machine. However I have discovered that there is a request to support IE10 related on this page:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/BON-1916

The internet Explorer 10 isn't supported yet, at this time only IE 7,8 and 9 has the offical support.

I suggest that you add yourself as "watcher" on this improvement request and If it has some information about it you will be notified.

Best Regards,

Henrique Lechner

Juan Banda November 26, 2013

This is really unfortunate, IE10 has been in the market long enough for Capture to support it.

I'm really dissapointed to see that Atlassian assigned low priority to this issue. Further, in the link that you provided I'm seeing that the issue was first reported on September and nothing has been done.

I'll definitely like to escalate this request, could you please help me with this?

Thanks,

Juan

Dave
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 26, 2013

Hi Juan, you can vote on that issue and leave your feedback there as well to help raise the visibility to the dev team, but there is no option to escalate.

Juan Banda November 27, 2013

That's sounds pretty odd to me David; Atlassian is supposed to be one of the three big tool providers and has no structure in place to escalate issues that blocks its clients.

My vote might count for nothing but I'm still a dissatisfied client that recently bought 50 licences and I was planning to multiply that number for 2014.

We're not talking about IE11 that was recently release, not even Opera o Epiphany for Linux, we're talking IE10 for God's sake!

Juan

Dave
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 4, 2013

I understand the need for it, I just hope you're leaving your feedback on that feature request as well so that it will be considered by the product team! :)

0 votes
BenP
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 4, 2013

Sure, will gladly add this comment to BON-1888 (which has my vote for some time now).
I think the discussion would prob. stay there, if atl. would participate in those comments, & not only here. So far, only the askers have commented.

0 votes
BenP
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 4, 2013

Hi,

Our customers indeed dictate which browser are relevant (as it should be), and (us) software providers look for tools that can assist us with in-browser testing/defect logging etc.

When 2 years ago, Atlassian put forward Bonfire/JIRA Capture as the solution to cover browser testing for IE, FF & Chrome/Safari, then they should understand some of the consequences / implicit requirement of being able to support the 4 browser brands upfront, meaning, latest acceptable point to support a new version is when the vendor declares it as released & supported (e.g. https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/faq/ ).

In the end, we decided for Bonfire because of the support for all the advertised browsers.

@Dave, I don't think referring to the current market share is really relevant in this case. Instead, have a look at historic trending, e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_web_browsers#Historical_usage_share illustrates that since June/2013 IE is taking back market share from FF.

By now, quite a group of people have informed Atlassian about this expectation and need to be informed.
You'll know, when people stop reporting this, that they have found another alternative & will think twice before considering another plugin.

I sincerely hope it won't come to that, but i don't have that much time to wait for it either.

Cheers,

Ben

Dave
Atlassian Team
December 4, 2013

I don't think the market share is particularly relevant, either, but wanted to clear up the false claim about the numbers. Again, the place to leave feedback, if your goal is for it to be heard and actioned on, is on that feature request.

0 votes
Dave
Atlassian Team
December 4, 2013

The reminders are also for accepting an answer if one has been provided - such as Henrique's second answer. Even if you don't particularly like it, it is accurate, and provides the relevant link for any feedback on the issue - which is the feature request.

0 votes
Juan Banda December 3, 2013

Atlassian keeps sending me automated messages to close this question if I'm satisfied with the answer, obviously I'm not so I'll leave it open.

Being silent is not a good marketing strategy from Atlassian. In the next conference or public event I'm going to directly look for an Atlassian Product Owner to raise this issue, hope someone in Atlassian really cares about delighting its clients with good service.

0 votes
Chuck December 2, 2013

So Jira Capture is not compatable with the browser that holds 58% of Desktop Browser Market Share and that has been released since August 2012. Wow! I guess there is not point in renewing my 500 user license of Capture.

Dave
Atlassian Team
December 4, 2013

For those that might be interested in the statistic, it is actually 17.5%, as IE 7,8,9 are supported in Capture, it is only IE 10 that is not currently supported. Here's a link with relevant data - http://www.netmarketshare.com/browser-market-share.aspx?qprid=2&qpcustomd=0

Juan Banda December 4, 2013

With all due respect David I can not just go to my multimillion oil industy clients and tell them that I can't test on IE10 because statistics says that they running their whole infraestructure in the less popular browser.

What I really wish to hear from Atlassian is a date for when you will solve this issue, not an enhancement or feauture request, it is a real issue that either your development team not planned for or your Product Owners didn't identified when built the Capture plugin.

In all this years in the industry I've never found a tool provider that puts so many excuses instead of just committing to a date to solve a problem that is affecting its clients.

0 votes
Juan Banda November 26, 2013

Hi Enrique,

I've tried what you recommended and after rebooting my system I could install Capture in my IE10. However, when I tried to connect to the Attlasian server it says that my credentials are not good. The same credentials for Firefox worked fine.

Below you'll see and screen shoot of the error message that I'm getting:

Our testing browser is IE10 so it's super crucial for us that Capture works. We haven't observed this issue in Chrome or Firefox but again our official testing browser is IE10.

We've experienced the same error message in multiple computers and locations so is not an isolated case and is actually blocking the testing of my whole team.

Hope you can solve this problem ASAP.

Thanks,

Juan

0 votes
HenriqueA
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 25, 2013

Hi Juan,

I've tested the Jira Capture on Windows 7 with Internet Explorer 10 and I found the same message on process:

Once I closed the IE, the program let me to continue, but it is common that the process might still be there (Running background even after IE has been closed).

My suggestion is that you download the JIRA Capture file:

http://downloads.atlassian.com/software/bonfire/2.7/ie/atlassian-bonfire-latest.msi

Reboot your windows and after that just execute the file (without executing the IE).

If that doesn't work, please let me know.

Best Regards,

Henrique Lechner

Suggest an answer