Cannot get custom field value to populate in a jql query for a dashboard, but it displays in filter

Shane Burkes April 12, 2021

Hi all.  I'm designing a dashboard for one of our project teams and I have this query written:

PROJECT = DX AND status != closed AND status != done AND status != removed AND status != "COMPLETE - OPS" AND status != "COMPLETE - FED" AND status != "COMPLETE - UX" AND status != "To Do" AND status != "TO DO - UX" AND status != "TO DO - OPS" AND status != "TO DO - FED" AND Labels = New-Request ORDER BY cf[14569] DESC

When I search using a basic filter search, I get results for cf[14569] and am able to sort by the value, but when I implement it into a dashboard, no values display and the column is not orderable.  Any ideas what I could be missing?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 12, 2021

Hi @Shane Burkes,

Most likely this behaviour will be related to the type of custom field cf[14569] actually is, but that is impossible to judge based on just your JQL statement.

Some types of custom fields are not supported in dashboard gadgets, possibly because they are part of a marketplace app or something else that is not very standard functionality.

On a side note, you may also optimise your query by updating it to something like this:

Project = DX AND status NOT IN (closed,done,removed,COMPLETE - OPS,COMPLETE - FED,COMPLETE - UX,To Do,TO DO - UX,TO DO - OPS,TO DO - FED) AND Labels = New-Request 

or - assuming that you only want to filter out issues with any In Progress status:

Project = DX AND statuscategory = "In Progress" AND Labels = New-Request

Filters with a lot of != or NOT IN are generally less performant then filters specifying exactly what you are after.

Hope both tips are helpful!

Hey Walter, thanks for the reply - the custom field is just a numbers field.  I should've specified.  Also, thanks for the optimized approach, I was planning on going back and cleaning it up once I got it presenting the way I wanted but this certainly makes it easier :)

After cleaning up the query, it worked!  Thanks so much.

Like Walter Buggenhout likes this

Suggest an answer