Cannot enter Application Link URL

Alexander K January 3, 2018

I have JIRA 7.6.2 and Confluence 6.3.4 behind reverse proxy. To allow direct communication I create an extra 

<Connector>

in both and get unproxied URLs. Both respond fine on that URLs. Now I enter these unproxied into application link configuration. The URLs have a form like http://test_confluence:3008/atlassian-confluence/ Once I hit "Save" and get back to the configuration, I see the URLs recorded in a form http:/atlassian-confluence Note a single slash. The same happens to JIRA URL. The connection attempts to these bogus URLs certainly fail. Do I miss something?

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 4, 2018

Are Jira and confluence on the same server?  Or different servers?

Is your server.xml file setup to serve up the site in a context path?

You appear to be trying to reach the site in a context path called /atlassian-confluence/ by that example URL.  However if the server.xml is not setup to host the site in this specific context, I could see a problem with the application not being able to connect to the other site properly if that happens.

I can understand wanting to create a new connector to bypass a proxy, but you will likely need to try to access the site URL in the same context that is set in that file.  In Jira the default looks like this:

<Context docBase="${catalina.home}/atlassian-jira" path="" reloadable="false" useHttpOnly="true">

In that setup, you can just reach the site on the address:port number without any subdirectory listed there.   Not sure if you have seen this guide, but if not I would recommend checking out How to create an unproxied application link.

Alexander K January 4, 2018

Actually they are services in Docker Swarm, thus may be randomly on the same server or on different ones.

The context path is set properly, thus both respond fine. Unproxied applications endpoints have been created with Connector tags properly and work fine as well.

My complaint is about a bug in web UI, which does not allow to enter the desired URLs.

I've got into the database and hacked `bandana' and `propertystring' records correspondingly. After that I was able to establish a connection.

Suggest an answer