Cannot edit a shared dashboard that I own

Michael Thompson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 21, 2017

I am currently running JIRA Server 6.4.1 (upgrading to 7.3.x in two weeks!) and just encountered an unusual problem, and I am not sure if it's a bug or functioning as designed.

The Setup

I am a JIRA administrator and manage several dashboards and a couple dozen filters that are associated with the various gadgets on those dashboards. They looked nice enough that I was asked to make dashboards for the other teams that also report to my director. I created them based off my existing dashboards, then shared the whole lot of them out to between 3 and 5 groups of users, depending on who needed to see each. In every case, there is a 'jira-adminstrators' group that I am a member of, and that group has share permission to all filters and dashboards. 

Some of the groups that have share access do not normally have me as a member, so to grant them access I temporarily added myself to the groups, granted them permission, and then removed myself from the group. For example, 'it-ops-leadership' normally only contains our Sr. Director and VP of IT.

The Problem

Even though I am a JIRA administrator, I own all filters and dashboards, and I am a member of at least one group that has share permissions with the filters and dashboards, I cannot edit any dashboard that is shared with at least one group I am not a member of.

Is this normal? It seems like a bug to me.

4 answers

2 accepted

6 votes
Answer accepted
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 24, 2017

Michael, it sounds like you are indeed running into a bug:

When you remove the user from the group that shared the dashboard with, user will not be able to edit their own dashboard

It doesn't appear to have been fixed yet. Please vote for it so it will get more attention from the development team.

Michael Thompson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 25, 2017

Thank you Ann! I have voted for it and added myself as a watcher.

1 vote
Answer accepted
Hector Vazquez February 21, 2022

The issue is still present in v8.13.14. Instead of duplicating the dashboard, you can edit it through the URL:

https://[You Jira URL]/secure/EditPortalPage!default.jspa?pageId=[Dashboard ID]&returnUrl=/secure/Dashboard.jspa

I was able to remove the group and edit the dashboard after.

Michael Thompson
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 22, 2022

Thanks Hector!

Like Tabé N likes this
1 vote
Susheela Kushwaha October 25, 2019

I had the same issue. To solve the issue, I added myself to the group the dashboard is shared with.  I already had admin access to jira. Once added myself to the group, I was able to update the dashboard.

0 votes
Jeramy S September 6, 2022

I wonder if this is still an issue in Data Center 8.20.10 because I have an admin user who creates dashboards, but cannot see or edit them after he creates the dashboard. 

However, as a Jira Administrator, I can see the dashboard. 

Is there some option or configuration somewhere that I'm missing that prevents users from seeing their own dashboards after creation?

Suggest an answer