Cannot edit a shared dashboard that I own Edited

I am currently running JIRA Server 6.4.1 (upgrading to 7.3.x in two weeks!) and just encountered an unusual problem, and I am not sure if it's a bug or functioning as designed.

The Setup

I am a JIRA administrator and manage several dashboards and a couple dozen filters that are associated with the various gadgets on those dashboards. They looked nice enough that I was asked to make dashboards for the other teams that also report to my director. I created them based off my existing dashboards, then shared the whole lot of them out to between 3 and 5 groups of users, depending on who needed to see each. In every case, there is a 'jira-adminstrators' group that I am a member of, and that group has share permission to all filters and dashboards. 

Some of the groups that have share access do not normally have me as a member, so to grant them access I temporarily added myself to the groups, granted them permission, and then removed myself from the group. For example, 'it-ops-leadership' normally only contains our Sr. Director and VP of IT.

The Problem

Even though I am a JIRA administrator, I own all filters and dashboards, and I am a member of at least one group that has share permissions with the filters and dashboards, I cannot edit any dashboard that is shared with at least one group I am not a member of.

Is this normal? It seems like a bug to me.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Ann Worley Atlassian Team Apr 24, 2017

Michael, it sounds like you are indeed running into a bug:

When you remove the user from the group that shared the dashboard with, user will not be able to edit their own dashboard

It doesn't appear to have been fixed yet. Please vote for it so it will get more attention from the development team.

Thank you Ann! I have voted for it and added myself as a watcher.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Monday in Jira Software

How large do you think Jira Software can grow?

Hi Atlassian Community! My name is Shana, and I’m on the Jira Software team. One of the many reasons this Community exists is to connect you to others on similar product journeys or with comparabl...

643 views 6 12
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you