Cannot edit Fix Versions

Justin V April 12, 2017

On a few of my boards, users are able to edit the "Fix Versions" section inside a JIRA card and then mark it to past releases.

Yet, on other boards, the Fix Versions section is set to None and I cannot change it. I have tried setting the resoltuion, as well as marking the ticket to be Resolved Issue. I even tried messing around with different screens, but when you open the card, the Fix Version is uneditable.

Thoughts?

4 answers

2 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Justin V April 12, 2017

Ended up fixing the issue. It was in fact a problem with my screen. I did not realize I needed the default screen to include "Fix Versions". I added it and it worked.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 12, 2017

So, the edit screen, as I said.

Like Pete DAlessandro likes this
2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 12, 2017

There's several possibilities, including

• There are no versions in the project yet
  • You don't have the fix version field on the edit screen
  • You don't have resolve issue permissions which allow you to set the version

That covers most, if not all, of the reasons for the behaviour you are seeing.  My guess is the first one though.

Justin V April 12, 2017

Hi Nic,

I just checked my project and there is indeed a Version set. I have it labeled as 4/10JTB (Release Apr/10/17).

On the "edit screen", I may not have it there, but I am trying to make the change when editing the actual card. Not moving it through a workflow.

As for permissions, I have global admin and project lead on this board.

Justin V April 12, 2017

Hi Nic,

Any other items in JIRA that I should be checking?

Deepali Bagul June 12, 2018

Hello @Justin V,

c: @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-

Were  you able to solve it. I am having same issue. I checked the all below points and all in place

• There are no versions in the project yet- We have versions in project
  • You don't have the fix version field on the edit screen- Fix version is on edit screen and is editable, but inline edit is not working only for this project
  • You don't have resolve issue permissions which allow you to set the version- I have resolve issue permission as I am project admin

Is it I am missing anything, Can you guide me,

Thanks,

Deepali Bagul

Like Johnson Aduri likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 12, 2018

Not quite the same problem, as the question was about not being able to edit it at all, and was fixed by adding the field to the screen.

If you can edit it in the edit screen, but not "in line", then you have a customisation of some sort blocking it.

Deepali Bagul June 13, 2018

Thanks @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- for the prompt response. Their is no such customization for the fix version fieldfor that project, I checked behaviors and listeners. What I see is, their is pencil icon on the field but it still doesn't allow inline edit, but through edit screen it is writable.

Also I tried changing the Issue type Screen Scheme to some other Issue type screen scheme which has different screens and this way the fix version was editable. But reversing back to original screen scheme block the inline edit for fix version.

Can you please point me to right direction.

Thanks,

Deepali Bagul

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 13, 2018

>What I see is, their is pencil icon on the field but it still doesn't allow inline edit, but through edit screen it is writable

The only way to do that that I can think of is through a customisation, like a behaviour or injected javascript.  I think there are other add-ons that can block it too.

0 votes
Keshav June 10, 2022

This is rather a question

I am unable to see the Fix Version pencil edit button, though I have admin privilege.

Any help will be appreciated. 

0 votes
Helen Griffiths April 12, 2017

In order to set the Fix Version you need to have permission within the Jira Project. 

In order to set the Versions of a project, you need the Project Administrator role. You'll know if you've got this by going to the Project and seeing if you've got the Project settings option in the bottom left hand corner. The fact you don't have any fix versions in one of your projects sounds like they haven't yet been set.

Atlassian have created this documentation on Managing Versions -> https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/managing-versions-802592484.html 

Hope this helps.

Justin V April 12, 2017

Hi Helen,

I am the Project Lead, a JIRA Admin, and can see the Project Settings option of the board. Yet, Fix Versions is still not editable/can be set.

As for if I have a version, I do have one labaled 4/10JTB (Release Apr/10/17).

Also, the Atlassian link is a 404 page error.

Justin V April 12, 2017

Hi Helen,

Any other thoughts on this?

Ilze Schoeman November 4, 2020

Hi Justin, 

In order to edit the fix version you must have a 'release' in your project. If you look on the menu bar in the left hand side when you are viewing an issue in your project, click on Releases, then ensure there is a release in there.

Once there is, you should be able to edit the fix version field in any issue within that project. 

releases.jpg

Like # people like this
Jemily Ford April 27, 2023

I am project admin,  have a version setup, and that version appears in the "Releases" section.   I still cannot edit the Fix Versions field,  nor can I add that field to the Edit section of the Jira tickets of that project.

What else am I missing?

Suggest an answer