Cannot delete users

Dan Pearce February 8, 2015

Hi there,

I cannot delete users from my account:

Last session
Ashley ashleyashley@isa-*******.comNever logged in

However, when I try and delete this user, I get the following error:

JIRA

• Cannot delete user 'ashley' because 19 issues were reported by this person.
  • Cannot delete user 'ashley' because they have made 10 comments

This user has never logged in so I can't see how this is possible.

Thanks,
Dan 

3 answers

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 8, 2015

It is possible to create issues and change the reporter to someone else, which answers the first part of the question.  You can also use "bulk edit" to change those issues to another reporter.

The comments one is more difficult, as you can NOT comment on the behalf of someone else.  So the user has logged in somehow, or, you have new issue/comments enabled and they've replied to emails coming from JIRA to create the comments.

Comments are a bit more difficult - you can't change their ownership.  You'll need to delete the comments (or even the issues) made by ashley.  Which can be a pain for auditing.

Or, you do the standard thing - leave the issues as they are, and disable instead of deleting the user.

0 votes
Dan Pearce February 9, 2015

Hi there,

I am quite confident this individual never used this (or any other company) system and is no longer with us. But it is possible that the user account details were modified at some point before I arrived (the account may have been used by someone else before?). We can find no trace of either the issues or the comments in the system to close them out. And now the link to instructions for deactivating the user isn't responding.

I will raise an issue with support and see what they can find. We can't track down the comments or posts and want to be able to reuse the account.

Thanks for all your help!

Dan

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 9, 2015

Dan,

As Nic stated, you can report issues on behalf of another person, but not comment. So if you'd like us to take a look at your instance please report an issue at https://support.atlassian.com, and we can verify if the user did indeed comment at one point.

We do not generally recommend deleting users from JIRA, but rather Deactivating the User. This action will free up the license as well for additional users and causes fewer potential problems in the future

Regards,

Shannon Mackie

Eric Cunningham February 26, 2015

I too would like to remove a user from our system. I cannot deactivate the user, because we are using Cloud/OnDemand. Simply unchecking the 'application access' box leaves the user in the user list, which adds clutter and also messes with autocomplete. How can I find which comments the user has made so I can delete those comments? More importantly, when will Atlassian provide a proper solution for their Cloud customers to deal with ex-employees?

Suggest an answer