Cannot create software projects after upgrade to 7.2.3

Christian Nielsen January 5, 2017

I upgraded our servers from JIRA 6.4.11 to 7.2.3 using the file atlassian-jira-software-7.2.3-x64.bin

After the upgrade, I cannot create projects with a type "Software". I can create "Business" projects though. I however need "Software" Projects much more than "Business" projects

We have a full Agile License for JIRA. That should not be the problem. 

I can create "Business" type projects and then change them to type "Software", just not create the "Software" project type initially - this is especially annoying when doing things like project imports.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 5, 2017

That suggests that parts of the Software application are not active (specifically the bits that provide Software project templates). 

Could you check its state under "manage applications"?  Are there other parts of Software not working (boards and Software related gadgets)?

Christian Nielsen January 5, 2017

Both JIRA Core and JIRA Software 7.2.3 are listed, license is "Commercial" and valid for most of the year still. Telling me about updates to 7.2.7.

Christian Nielsen January 18, 2017

There was a problem with the builtin plugin that handles licenses - I had to re-install the whole JIRA server when I tried to use the restore functionality and it merrily removed all the projects but then refused to create new software projects - 20% restore done and the system balked. All users were locked out; complete lockup.

Jonas Bausch March 12, 2017

I'm facing the same problem but with a completely fresh installation on a brand new server. Any solutions?

5 votes
Jonas Bausch March 12, 2017

Since I had the same problem, here is what fixed it for me:

After examining the logs I saw a whole bunch of MySQL Exceptions like 

Caused by: com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.jdbc4.MySQLSyntaxErrorException: REFERENCES command denied to user 'jirauser'@'localhost' for table 'AO_5FB9D7_AOHIP_CHAT_LINK'

Added the privilege for REFERENCES, restarted JIRA and now I can create Software Projects again.

TinoMueller February 15, 2018

This helped for me. Thank you very much for sharing the solution!

Suggest an answer